Running or Clumping

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ave a go, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ave a go

ave a go Junior Member

Hi,

Have got a spot that we would like to plant some Bamboo in.
    It is a norrow area say 30cm by 8-10m that runs between our driveway and nextdoor.
    Was wanting to get some thoughts on which type of Bamboo I should use.
    Appreciate your comments.

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Re: Running or Clumping

Get clumping varieties. Running varieties can be terribly invasive.

The best book on the subject is an Aussie who wrote a book called "Bamboo World" . He has a nursey somewhere in Australia, too.

Good luck!

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Christopher is right. Running bamboo can run completely under the concrete slab foundation of a house and start popping up on the other side.

I was told that if you plant bamboo (even clumping varieties) and want to make sure it will stay contained, line the planting area with heavy pond liner, seal the seam, and make the sides of the hole slant outward...\___/. This way, the roots should hit the liner and then head up and outward, where you could see them and hack them off.

Most importantly, MAKE SURE that the plant(s) you get are really what they are labelled. A temporary neighbor many years ago bought what he thought was a clumper. It wasn't. It ran under his house, came up in the front yard, and kept spreading into the neighbor's yards, under the asphalt driveways, under concrete slab patios, everywhere. He was not popular.

Sue

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

All I can say is, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER RUNNING!