Running Bamboo grow from root pieces?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by KiwiInOz, Nov 26, 2015.

1. KiwiInOz

KiwiInOz Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate
    I am in the process of replacing a garden bed for my mother that has been overtaken by running bamboo. I have dug out all the dirt and want to use that to refill the bed. But I am worried about all the little pieces of bamboo roots. I am sieving the soil and removing as much of the roots as I can, but it is a very arduous task.

If I just remove the larger pieces, will small pieces of running bamboo grow again once the soil is wet and yummy?

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Oh you bet they will, and with aggressiveness.

KiwiInOz likes this.
  3. stonethegardener

stonethegardener Junior Member

There may be an easier way...
    I useta know someone with timber bamboo.... He kept his patch in check by simply kicking over the brittle new stalks as they came up...

I have a patch of bamboo... Unfortunately... not the timber variety... But... it stays outside the garden by the same technique.
    Those roots will die and decay, when they aren't permitted to send up stalks... starve the root... root dies.

KiwiInOz likes this.
  4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    First you will need to determine which type of runner bamboo it is. Timber bamboos tend to be clumping bamboo and are thus easier to keep in control as the rhizomes do not extend at a rapid rate of growth. This makes clumping bamboo much easier to control as all you have to do is snap or harvest the new shoots.
    True Running Bamboo is very difficult to keep under control and will tend to send rhizomes out up to 10 meters per year from the mother rhizome. This is exasperated by the fact that a piece as small as 1 cm will start a new stand. The best method is to contain when it comes to running bamboos, this is where you sink a barrier at least 2.5 meters deep and this barrier needs to extend around 10 cm above ground so you can see the "running rhizome" before it can escape.

I finally eradicated a stand of running bamboo at my parent's house (it had invaded from a neighbor's yard) after three years of digging and sifting the removed soil before replacing it in my mother's rose beds. I did around 8 meters by 2 meters each year. I then installed a 3/8" thick x 4 foot tall x 35 foot long piece of ABS plastic sheeting at the property line, leaving 12 inches of the sheeting above ground. Once this was finished, I didn't have to make weekend trips to dig out any running bamboo again.

KiwiInOz likes this.