Round 5 - Ask Bob Corker a Question on Community Land Trusts

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by CraigMackintosh, Feb 20, 2013.

1. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

Round 5 of the 'Ask an Expert' series is underway herewith!

This time we'll give Geoff a break, and we move to a specific topic I feel is (or at least should be) regarded as pertinent and of interest to at least some of you - that being Community Land Trusts.

If you are like many - having great permaculture ambitions, but no land or finances to turn your dream of building healthy resiliency into a reality - then the Community Land Trust model is something you can look at as a possible strategy for finding a way forward.

Bob Corker has been involved with intentional communities for most of his life, and has learned a great deal from this experience. You may want to familiarise yourself a little with Bob's work, via this post.

So, please send in your thoughtful questions, and please keep them succinct and to the point, eliminating any superfluous writings.

Note: In this particular sub-forum ('Put your questions to the Experts!'), please do not attempt to start new threads, as they will be deleted. Only site admin, who will be putting the questions to the expert, will start the threads in this sub-forum. Each thread will begin with questions, and end with the resulting video with answers. Thanks all.)

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    I'm going to say that your article on Bob's work is likely the clearest summary of the current state of the human species I've yet seen. So many disparate thoughts I've had for years were clarified. Further, Bob has formulated a direction, a path!
    Need to let this settle for a bit ... questions are sure to follow!
    I highly recommend this article.
    Thanks Craig!

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Bob (Craig)

Thanks heaps for the opportunity to quiz your good self, a person with a wealth of IC planning and development experience.

My question concerns the choice of location for the development of Kotare Village:

Why there, and was it simply a matter of it being the best available land, at the cheapest possible price, at the right time?

You have at least answered some of my question here:

"We have chosen a rural setting, not unduely affected by horticulture, industrial dairying or life style blocks - an area that is not likely to change dramatically in the foreseeable future. We have chosen not to be near a major city. We see the need to fully engage in our vision without too many 'distractions'..."

However, a quick reckoning shows the following 'essential' services to be thus far distant from Kotare Village:

* Marumaru Tavern (5 km): 'essential' in the sense that this would be the nearest, next largest 'community hub' (outside of Kotare Village itself) and logical entry point into the 'local community'

* Te Reinga Primary School (12.5 km): 'essential' unless you are proposing to home school

* Wairoa Hospital Heliport, Secondary School, Post Office, Banks, etc. (24 km): mostly 'essential', and especially considering high-speed, fibre-optic internet is not an option

* Massey Uni, Palmerston North (315 km) and Uni of Waikato, Hamilton (400 km): probably not 'essential', unless one or more of the trustees has academic leanings

* Palmerston North and Hamilton also offer the nearest passenger rail heads

* Rotorua Airport (335 km): 'essential' only in the sense that one ore more trustees may have to engage in international conferences, etc.

Therefore, an extension of my question is:

How will the trustees overcome the 'tyranny of distance' to the above-listed services, and at the same time do this in a manner that meets or exceeds the sustainability charter of Kotare Village?

Thanks again for your time and energy, Mark.

4. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

Thanks 9andalf!

5. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Mr. Corker, would a Community Land Trust be appropriate for land which is currently owned by some members of the family, but for which there is an intention to share the land among extended family members who do not currently live there? The owners currently live on the land. We would like to preserve specific uses of the land after we pass on. There is no intention to ever sell the land.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

As someone who one day would like to live in an Intentional Community what criteria would you recommend that a prospective community member should use to assess the suitability of any individual community?

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    This is the current "Ask the Experts" thread collecting questions for Bob Corker re: Community Land Trusts.
    (temporarily made the thread a 'sticky')
    Bill Kearns

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Hi Bob, thanks for this opportunity.

I'm wondering if you have some views on the possibility of 'shifting' an existing village or at least a collection of people within an existing town towards becoming an eco-village? Or are the benefits of starting from scratch much greater and more likely to succeed?

I feel as though it may be a case of needing great leaders in either case?

I have this theory that many 'permaculturists' and like minded people do not consider themselves to be natural leaders and see themselves in more of a foot soldier role. Do you have any thoughts on how they might go about 'leading without leading'? I haven't yet read a lot about community land trusts but I wonder if perhaps the trust concept itself (or some similar framework) might act as a leader of sorts?

Perhaps I'm just asking, "How do you start the ball rolling?"

9. Lesley W

Lesley W Junior Member

For those who can access video, I loved this 'interview' with Bob. Thought I'd share as it might prompt a few more questions.

[video=youtube;fFqOqsIU17U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqOqsIU17U&feature=share&list=PLGGb58L27rqVRBiaOogldTYHiQQ-D35tB[/video]

10. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

11. texaspermaculture

texaspermaculture Junior Member

12. CraigMackintosh

CraigMackintosh *****

Perhaps in a couple of months. I'm travelling at the moment. Thanks for your patience.

13. aikidesigns

aikidesigns Junior Member

Thanks Craig, love your work.

Hi Bob,
    I was wondering what advice you might have for an established independent indigenous community school (P-12+, suburban location but with broad regional catchment) wanting to set up linked urban and rural 'farm' enterprises to address issues of community health and nutrition, domestic welfare, cultural reconnection, and self-determination, among many others.
    The urban site is on the school grounds, while the rural site is yet to be determined. A key goal is to allow the school flexibility in delivering an integrated indigenous and western-style curriculum, and also to provide opportunities for vocational and further education in ag/hort industries, business and community development, and sustainable land management.
    What sorts of invisible structures might be applicable to the challenge of collectively developing and managing such a project, bearing in mind difficulties faced by indigenous communities such as access to funding, limited business experience, and general lack of dialogue between theirs and 'mainstream' white culture?
    I guess a more general question might be: How can we reconcile indigenous knowledge frameworks and western legal structures to enable the sorts of synergies a project like this could create?
    Apologies for the novella. Hope its not too far OT.

14. nub

nub Junior Member

Hello bob
    I belong to the commonwealth countries. Does trust law apply the same to all commonwealth countries ? Is the common law the same in all commonwealth countries ? Thanks.

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hi Nub - please not that this is no longer an active thread so you are unlikely to get an answer to your question.