roots and retaining walls

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by catastrophe moore, May 29, 2006.

1. are fruit tree roots likely to interfere with a timber retaining wall much?
    some more than others?
    how far away is far enough to e safe?
    thanks!

2. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

It depends on the situation really.

Give us a quick out line of what you have in place. I know of timber and metal sheeting retaining walls move from just small plants and shrubs. It depends on your soil type, what kind of timbers and how they are placed and what it is you want for the site.

Kathleen

3. thanks kathleen...
    the situation: rather clay heavy soil (prone to waterlogging i'm afraid) which has of course been excavated a bit to "terrace" the backyard into three levels. the walls seem to be solid, but we're not really sure how deep they go. walls are made from heavy timber with those "H" shaped steel things holding it...
    the owener is keen to plant lots of fruit trees in the area.

4. Peter Warne

Peter Warne Junior Member

In general terms, most conventional fruit trees do not have invasive roots, and the roots are supposed to go out as far as the dripline of the leaves. In Melbourne I guess you would be planting temperate climate trees ... If the terraces are wide enough, you should have no trouble placing the trees. If you are doubtful, plant dwarf versions. Anyway, be safe and check the behaviour on each tree before you buy it.

Happy planting.

Peter

PS - If the soil is clayey, you would also need to make sure that the holes do not form a well, which will hold the water for days and rot the roots. Do you know the system for testing if the soil is too clayey before you plant? If not I will explain the draining system I use for planting avocados, which will die instantly if they don't get perfect drainage.

5. i don't know the test, no... an explanation would be great, thanks!

6. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Wow Cas' a big and intereting site to contemplate.

If it is a water logging area you can do two things.....grow water loving swampy kinda plants...lots of natives you can use...plus lots of them can be useful, like dianella - you can eat the little purple fruits or lomandra (matrush) can be made into basketry.

OR ....if the owner is keen to have fruit trees then you are going to have to put in a drainage system for each terrace...a trench dug and agpipe surrounded gravel put in to lead water away from the site....then you would have to really work on improving the soil..using gypsum to help break up the clay, tons of organic matter, trace elements etc etc, to make it usable and then maybe you could put in fruit trees. Do not make the mistake of digging out a hole in the clay and putting in organic matter for the tree because the hole will not drain properly, you may get initial growth , but eventually the tree will die from waterlogging.

Peter's suggestion of dwarf trees is a good one...but also think about how you will actually use the trees...can you walk around them to do maintence, or picking fruit and netting them off regularly from predators? What's the access like to get to the site...steps up the middle? Where will the excess water go when you do put in drainage?

So much about permaculture is about observation first.....then research...then getting the job done....who has Bill's quote... a thousand hours of thinking and one hour of work? It's a good one to remember.

Goodluck Kathleen

7. Peter Warne

Peter Warne Junior Member

Can't add to what Kathleen has said, except for the waterlogging test:

Dig a hole about 1 foot deep, fill it with water; wait for the water to sink away, then fill it again. If the water takes more than 30 mins to soak away, then your soil is too heavy and some draining technique is required.

Something to try,

Peter