Roast Pepper Relish *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by forest, Dec 7, 2005.

1. forest

forest Junior Member

I have quite a few capsicums growing and my DH just planted out a yellow and another red one so I've been searching for my favourite pepper relish recipe. I thought some of you might enjoy it too, especially if your bushes are prolific.

12 red capsicums
    12 green capsicums
    12 onions
    2 hot chillies
    2 cups good vinegar
    2 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds

Wash, cut in half and deseed the caps and chillies and lay them on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil. Place in a hot oven for about 30 minutes. Take from oven, let cool for a while and remove the skins. Peel the onions and chop. Add the onions to a slow frying pan with a touch of oil and let them slowly caramelise.

Chop the caps and chillies into small pieces and add the onions to a saucepan. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard seeds. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. When it's cooled slightly, pour into sterilized jars and seal. :D It's delicious in a salad or on fish or meat.

2. sab

sab Junior Member

yum

3. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

That got my mouth watering :lol: Thanks Forest.

I have planted quite a few heritage capsicums of differing colours this year..perhaps I'll get enough fruit to give your relish a try :D

4. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Ooooh, thanks Forest...I've been meaning to look for similar recipes as I am very fond of roast red peppers in this style and always loved tomato relish...now I can combine the two... :lol:

Do you treat your capsicums as perennial or annual? I read they can be very prolific in the tropics if left to be a perennial...I thought I might just leave the best few and use the seeds from them to get a few more annuals going.

Any suggestions? (I'm a tropical novice as you know!) :lol:

5. Ben

Ben Junior Member

Thanks for the recipe!

I love chilli's, any more chilli recipes?

I just blend a heap of different hot ones with olive oil
    and use the mix, seeds and all when cooking and anytime a meal needs an extra kick

We also stuff our capsicums with a rice, meat and veg' mix
    it's a lovely looking dish if you use all different type capsicums

6. forest

forest Junior Member

Jez, I've found here that some survive up to three years, others don't. I'm guessing it's about 50-50. We just watch to see which ones will give up and we pull them out but some of the others just remain strong and vigorous, so we give them some blood and bone and new mulch to keep them going. They never fruit over winter here as it's too cold. From memory, you're on the Atherton Tablelands so you might have the same problem over winter, I'm not sure. At the end of winter, we fertilise again and add some potash, which gets them fruiting again. Chillies are the same, although from my experience they will keep going much longer than 3 years. When I lived in central qld, we had a bird's eye chilli that lasted 12 years and could possibly still be growing now.

7. forest

forest Junior Member

Ben, I made this last night and have just tasted it. It's very hot and delicious. I've been trying to find a recipe for chilli jam similar to the Maleny Clean Cuisine product, that I love. This recipe is the closest I've got to it so far and will be a very good substitute if I never find the other recipe.

18 red chillies
    18 green chillies
    6-8 onions peeled - about 2 kg
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon mustard seeds

boiling water
    2½ cups cider vinegar
    2½ cups sugar

Roast the chillies and deskin them (as above). You can add the chilli seeds if you want a super bumburn relish. Chop the onions and the chillies. Put the chillies, onions and salt into a large saucepan and add enough boiling water to cover them. Let stand 10 minutes.

Drain and discard the liquid. Add mustard seeds, vinegar and sugar to the vegetables. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into sterilised jars and press down, making sure the relish is covered completely by liquid. Seal and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Start to count processing time when water returns to boiling.

:twisted: Enjoy.

8. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Thanks Forest - I thought as much.

Winter? I've for gotten what jumpers and trousers are for mate...not to mention socks... :lol: