Ripening bananas

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Batz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Batz

Batz Junior Member

I planted several bananas last year and with all this rain we are now picking beautiful big bunches of them.
    I pick the whole bunch and hang the under the patio to ripen,it works well other than we have lots of ripe bananas all at once,then nothing until the next picking.
    Is there a way to slow the ripening of some bananas on the bunch?
    I need to pick a little green otherwise the bush turkeys eat them all.

Batz

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

you can leave them on the planty and slice off a hand at a time - slows things down a bit

when we get too many all at once and the neighbours don't want them (LOL) we freeze - peel and put four into a baggie and freeze - no other treatment.

they're ideal for cake recipes, milk shakes, anything that you need mashed bananas in

3. permup

permup Junior Member

Bananas

Hi, I don't know whether this is true or not, as I eagerly await my first banana from my circle, but aparantly if you leave the bell on, and pick the bananas as you need them, only the picked will ripen. If you take the bell off, they all ripen at the same time.

4. Batz

Batz Junior Member

Thanks for the replays,I did mean to ask at the permaculture meeting last night,it went a little overtime and I had a days work today so that didn't happen this month.

We do freeze some and I do cut off the bell :shock:

Anyone want some nannas?

Batz

5. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Grab a dehydrator and dry some! They are such a sweet treat that we like them for dessert and you can rehydrate them if you want to use them in cakes or muffins. Do you a deal - if you have gobs of nanas, bring me some and I'll dry them and give you back a share of the dried! Dehydrator permanently set up at this place. Was at the perma meeting but had to go real early because I work and commute (and get up early for the puppy) and am always so tired once the sun goes down.