Rice beer and other novel alcoholic beverages

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by sun burn, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

When i was in Orissa India, i tasted rice beer several times at the weekly markets. The first time i tried it i didn't know what it was because I was unable to communicate with the women selling it. so i was a bit cautious. But after i knew what it was, i decided it was pretty yummy. The first time i've ever been drunk in the morning was at a Bonda market where i drank three cups of this stuff.

It just occurs to me that I would like to make it. Has anyone here experimented with drinks like and knows how to make it. I might go and check out google now.. but anyway it would be good to hear what experiences you've had..

I never got around to trying toddy but i heard from some poeple that it wasn't so yummy. What's your view. Toddy for the uninitiated is alcohol made from coconut palms. I am not sure if its a beer or a liquor.

Another one that i never got to try was a liqueur made form marwah trees. Actually in central parts of india i believe they are still making alcohol in a variety of traditional ways.

Further to be really authentic, the beer is drunk from a cup made form a gourd. And carried about in large gourds. I really want to grow some of those gourds because they are so decorative as well as functional. They do a macrame doodad around the gourd to carry it and loop it on a stick which is put over the shoulders. (some day i will show photos of all this on my photoblog).

Anyone know anything about these gourd plants and where i can get seeds for them. I think they should grow in the tropics.

Given the above about the rice wine, i think i'd like to grow some rice. I think it would be pretty to have a little rice pond anyway. If i put fish in it, i might be able to keep down the mosquitos.

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

https://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-make-Indian-rice-beer

I found this. It could be a problem getting the herbs but i might even try to make it at some stage with our long grain rice and no herbs. If that's horrible, i will try brown rice. Its gotta be worth a try.

The sal leaves are beautiful but not necessary for the process.

3. Susan Girard

Susan Girard Junior Member

I tried growing rice once, it did look pretty and was certainly a talking point. The pond is about the size of 2 sq m. but in the end I got maybe a cup of rice. Of course Katoomba is not by any means the idea climate!
    I have a friend whose husband makes beer from wheat and this grow much better up here and I'm thinking I just might give that a go myself
    : )

4. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I have tried pulque in Mexico , its sort of cactus beer , act. Agave the same thing they distill and get tequila from .Its thick and white almost like a thick shake . Drank gallons of toddy , its sort of palm wine , and can be very refreshing and cheaper than water in Indonesia .
    Made from several palms , Sugar Palm Arenga pinnata Toddy Palm Borrasus flabellifer
    But really it can be made from nearly any palm and is common all over the tropics.
    I am going to try and make banana beer , saw stories about it when looking up African recipes for cassava leaves .

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I will come and help you make your banana beer if you like mike. :) Though i must admit I am not sure it sounds too good. But anything is worth trying. Its got to be better than those packaged home brew kits. I was never very impressed with my father's coopers.

Susan, Katoomba! rice! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa Sorry that is soo funny. ... ooh i've got a sore stomach now. ... But good on you for trying. :)

My current alcohol budget is $20 per fortnight though i think this may be more than i actually need. If i can make melon wine etc and rice beer etc *sigh* well won't I be in paradise. and i will have $20 to spend something else.

Hey all let's not try to grow Cat. That takes all the water and there isn't any left for growing food - in yemen anyway. So i heard on a news item last night on tv.

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

differant yeasts produce differant effects
    honey is worthwhile fermenting or including to kit beer
    i have used horehound as a bittering agent
    currently attempting to grow hops ( dont laugh sunburn) arnt trere cool climate rice in asia aka fukowaka
    What is cat
    there is a big market out there for gluten free beer

7. Susan Girard

Susan Girard Junior Member

Yes it was a pretty interesting experience Sunburn. More that that it was a sorta a competition with a Japanese permie who lived up this way, I know it was an up-land rice variety, but not sure of the name right now.
    : )

8. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

how did you germinate it ect?

:party:

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

cat is a drug plant that is very popular in Yemen and other countries in that region. They chew it for hours and store it in a big lump in the side of their mouth. I was at a cat party once there but i was too stupid to have a go at it. Anyway its not good for the stomach but according to this new report, Yemen is addicted to cat. they have a cat market one day a week. Anyway the farmers who are still trying to grow food lament the conversion that many farmers have made from food to cat. The farmers made the conversion because the returns are better.

Actually perhaps its not that funny to grow rice in Katoomba. I tend to think of it as a tropical crop but you are right andrew.

10. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Khat , heard about it from an ethnobotanic mate , would not mind trying it , an amphetamine type of effect and legal to import if you get a permit .
    Plants are available .

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

The one I tried in india was distilled as a clear liquer but they did make a wine out of it first it was an aquired taste so I chose the spirits
    They also make a distilled spirit from the fruit of the cashew(apple)
    I still have some from my trip
    It has a slight smell of a tropically exotic medicinal kind of smell (pure alcohol spirit)

Caju Feni and Coconut Feni

12. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

Apparently, the "second oldest profession" (brewing or distilling alcohol) was invented as a way to get young men to take advantage of the "first oldest profession" while their mates were in the same room. What's really changed in umpteen hundred years????