Resources- Internet-Appropedia

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Speedy, May 7, 2010.

1. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

I dont know if this is the place to post this but here it is.

How I haven't stumbled upon this before now is a mystery to me.
    I've not yet had a good trawl through it myself, but thought I'd post the link anyway
    as it does seem relevant (appropriate ;-) .

I've just cut and pasted part of Appropedia's own desciption of the site

"Appropedia is the site for collaborative solutions in sustainability, poverty reduction and international development through the use of sound principles and appropriate technology and the sharing of wisdom and project information. It is a wiki, a type of website which allows anyone to add, remove, or edit content. Registration is encouraged but not required for contributors.

Appropedia has been described as an "appropriate technology wiki," but it is much broader than that - it is a green wiki, and a wiki for all matters of international development and aid. But most importantly, Appropedia is an open site for stakeholders to come together to find, create and improve scalable and adaptable solutions."

https://www.appropedia.org/Welcome_to_Appropedia

Some of the folks here may already know of it , but for those who don't I hope it's of use.

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

3. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

Urban Agriculture

Thanks Marko,
    I've just had a cursory look at the Abundance site and will look over it in more detail later.
    I sort of see Urban agriculture as analogous to a cancerous growth rotting out and being healed from the inside.
    Although I dont ever want to live in a city, I see this sort of work as making more of a positive impact that i could ever do living in a rural area.
    With a greater availability in cities, of the number one resource...the human element, Permaculture can really sing.

In one sense it would be easy to move from the city to a rural setting and 'get away from it all' ,
    but to choose to stay and change things there and thrash it out with town planners and red tape and stuff shows more courage i think.
    Then again, in other countries lots of people have no choice as to where they live, but choices nonetheless.
    This sort of project is something with many positives and opportunities for people to enrich their lives.
    Cheers

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Speedy

It is true that some 'town planners' still cling to a modernist vision of clean, uncluttered urban scapes that would never allow for the fine-grained detail inherent in a city that embraces urban agriculture (which in itself leads to urban permaculture), but thankfully they remain a minority. Likewise, it is equally true that while 'city planning' remains largely the domain of bureaucrats, there are from around the globe hundreds of examples emerging where people have reclaimed the planning process and restored it to its rightful place, that is they have positioned it squarely back into the domain of 'true community' (see, for example):

Radical Urban Planning Forum

Generally speaking, 'town planners' have their hands tied when it comes to implementing good urban planning and design strategies concerning urban agriculture. Municipal 'town planners' are the product of the neo-liberal, capitalist system - there is no monetary profit to be seen in planning for self-sustaining food systems in the urban environment!

In a nutshell, if 'planners' are to continue to grow and prosper as part of the solution rather than part of the problem, then we need to adopt new ways of organising ourselves as society. One way that I support this initiative is through the promulgation of social ecology's political arm:

Libertarian Municipalism

Cheerio, for now, Marko.