replacing irrigation with permaculture

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by paul wheaton, Sep 20, 2012.

1. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

Here is over two hours of me talking to 140 people in Oceanside,
    California about replacing irrigation with permaculture on my recent
    "Symphonies in Seed and Soil Tour". Probably my most popular
    presentation, now available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0J2Upk5ww

(warning, the obnoxious giant guy in overalls uses "the full beauty of the english language" - people that fear words might want to skip this)

please forward to folks that might be interested in this sort of thing

--

Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world domination: https://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

that's a fairly broad statement replacing irrigation with permaculture?? if you have drought permaculture practises might help you manage watering and make do with less other than more, but replace watering dunno?? not even so sure you can accredit any benefits to permaculture on a one up basis. we are in drought again, we add in organic matter continually and we mulch heavily, all our plantings are brand new, and we only have max 45k/l of water available, one tank of 22.5k/l down to about 7k/l, and no rain on the horizon.

it is good when we get a heavy dew as we score 2 buckets or more of water a day for plants, all used water from the house gets a second use, and i pee in a bucket, no good flushing water into septic system below ground when we need it above ground.

all that information free

len

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Thanks Paul, look forwarding to watching it.

4. deee

deee Junior Member

I think your post is interesting, Len - in part because many years ago I scoured your website for info on reusing grey water and composting toilets. Good to see you're still at it! I think we've become really accustomed to drought in Australia. I know last year in Western Sydney, I was completely at a loss as to how to cope with so much rain. Drought I get after years of it (and yes, I do have the great luxury of town water, but I rarely use it), but all that water last year? No idea!!!! Of course, what permaculture helps with enormously is reducing evaporation, which is what really what makes Australia so bloody dry.

Off to see what Paul is up to (really I just want to see the bloke in the overalls - I start teaching a new PDC tomorrow. I might get some pointers......)
    D

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep we still do teh same things back in rural now got a nice little storm this arvo', just need to maximise it, all new tanks etc.,. so still teething problems believe it or not, council demanded we pay plumber to do the rainwater as well, and we have an annoying leak where to 2 tanks feed each other, they had another go at fixing it yesterday but it is hopeless, dunno what to do yet, as i tried to stop it as well and those efforts weren't completely successfull, but better than the plumber's effort. anyhow we'll figure something out.

wouldn't believe it hey just spent all that time lugging used water up to gardens then it rains hey lol.

len

6. Sheila

Sheila Junior Member

I watched the whole thing. Engaging and entertaining. I especially enjoyed the church/Round up comments. Thanks for sharing.:)