Remember the Insects.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ho-hum, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

As summer is happening across temperate Australia this year consider creating permanent water.

Two of our best gardening allies are bees & wasps and to attract them and keep them visiting our garden they need a reliable permanent water source something a lot more permanent than the dog bowl. The bees use water for airconditioning and the wasps use it for construction.

Currently, I have 3 types of bees coming to permanent water at my place. European and 2 types of native bees. The european bees are opportunists and will water anywhere they can but need that a permanent source. The little native bees like a shaded secluded place to drink with good security and here they have a permanently leaky tap which I dont fix or there is also a tray in the shade shelter that is off the ground and has a housebrick in it. The native bees like to crawl down into the holes in the brick and get their water there.

There are at least 4 types of wasps that seem quite happy with tubs and pools of any type but are often seen on the tap too.

Cheers,

ho-hum

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Remember the Insects.

I was surprised to learn, at a recent permaculture meeting-(Which I have posted here somewhere) that there are over 200 varieties of Australian native bees. Including some that live solitary existences.

One of the things that annoys me about Summer is the "Bug Zappers"' everywhere.
    These indiscriminately kill "good" and "bad' bugs.
    They should be banned, or sold with only specific insect attractants, IMHO.

3. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    we have native wasps living in the rock garden around our pond, and we can see them buzzing down to the water, as does many other little critters that I've no idea what they are.
    People have a real learned aversion to our little winged friends, as all the mortein ads attest, it's pretty much if it flies zap it.
    Might have to put another little pond amongst the veg garden too.
    cheers

4. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

I had neighbors for years that regularly paid to have their house sprayed with insecticide both inside and out as to prevent ANY form of insect life come anywhere near their household..

Funnily enough in my house we had millions of baby spiders spawn in our bathroom every winter, and at any point you could find upwards of 10 orb spiderwebs around the house (golden and the other one)..

my neighbors then wondered why we had an abundance of blue-tongues and they had none.. idiots.

good advice though.. will have top up the bird bath