Redirecting Road Runoff

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Brad Horner, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Brad Horner

Brad Horner New Member

Climate:
    Highland Desert
    zone: 6b
    13" rain year
    IMG_20180626_101142.jpg IMG_20180626_101126.jpg
    I have rural frontage to a county, hard packed dirt road. In the gulley, which mostly has rough stone in it, I would like to redirect water. Problem is my land is about 3-5 feet above the drainage ditch. I thought of digging a deep to put in a pipe which would lead into a dug out area to soak water into my soil.

On my lot, I'm leaving sage in wherever I can and ultimately wanting grasses in bare spots and eventually trees.

I haven't experienced monsoons but I'm expecting an occasional deluge here and there. It's not something I want to let go to waste. From images. It's lower corner of a gradual slope. The corner (left side) is lower. Camera lens warps a bit.

Again, how do I get water from ditch especially at this lowest corner. Atm i have a shovel and time. It's "13 avg rain in a very dry year.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Are you wanting to recapture the water that is in the gully or are you wishing it to go uphill? I am slightly confused. BTW, have you checked out Geoff Lawton's videos on greening the desert?

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hey Brad, have you seen Brad Lancaster's rainwater harvesting work in Tuscon? He is a proponent of sunken gardens to accumulate rainwater (among other techniques). Now 3-5 ft deep trenches to feed sunken beds is likely more than one could shovel, but would require no pumping.
    On the other hand, sometimes pumps are the easiest answer. A deep "cistern" fed from the roadway ditch would allow a solar powered pump to lift water to swales or other distribution means at the level of your property.
    Intercepting any flow of rainwater from your higher property into the roadway ditch would be a good idea, perhaps with terracing, as you've a fairly steep slope in the photos. Trees could then be planted on the terrace and once their roots were established, could use water in the ditch successfully, especially if you could place some gabions in the ditch to slow and sink the water there. https://www.gabionsupply.com/check-dams.html

Bryant RedHawk likes this.
  4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I am in total support of Bill's suggestions, especially the dig a cistern on your land that is fed by the road ditch and the terracing. Trees will be very viable the way he describes the setup.