Red Shouldered Leaf Beetle on Corn

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cornonthecob, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

I have heaps of these little buggers on my corn. I've looked in my books and also online, and while from what I've read, I'm not too worried, I wonder if anyone has had this problem too?

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Corny,

Welcome to the world of bugs.... :D

I looked it up too and found the photos. It isnt a much of a pest for permies. There is one very very similar though that used to give my cucurbits a hiding, if ignored, reducing the thrift of the plant till the downy mildew could catch up with it.

I used to squash them on the plant. The only real nasty I got in my garden [apart from heliothis] was the 17spot beetle [28 spotted ladybug] thats larvae ate cucurbit leaves.

A combination of mud wasps and a resident willy wagtail meant my veigie garden stayed very healthy. The tomatoes were 'got' by heliothis a bit but I threw the affected fruit over the fence into the chookpen so never had a 2nd generation develop.

floot

3. Cornonthecob

lol yes, they're my first bug 'problem' since moving here. I'm not worried about them as what I've read doesn't seem to indicate they'll be too much of a problem on the corn. Still...it's best to check.

The little buggers have only really shown up today in numbers...maybe our Willy Wagtails have cotton onto them yet?

I've not noticed the mud wasp going for them either...might be too many spiders around?

As for Ladybugs, its 16, 17, 18, squash!

:)

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey Corny Watch out with the ladybugs Some are vegatation eaters others just love Aphids....

Apparently the 28 spotteds are the vegatation eaters.....

Be care full u might be killing the wrong kinds

Tezza

5. Cornonthecob

No probs Tezza..am on top of that one...it's just these little red shouldered buggers...they did a running attack on the sweet potato leaves then wiped out every leaf on the fig! The birds aren't interested in them, and the little buggers know to fly off when I'm out there trying to squash them!