Recycling

Discussion in 'General chat' started by mischief, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

We did a trip to the dump this morning. They let us dump for free because mostly what we had to drop off was metal. There were lots of goodies in the piles but you are not supposed to take stuff away. However i spied some cables used in yachts and if i make my floating roof, i can hang it from the trees using this cable.

I also retrieved a set of basket draws in a metal frame. Very nice. No doubt they would have sold this somewhere. I wanted to pick up some old carpet as well but Dad didn't want to risk it. I'll phone them up. There was also a lot of mulch. I suppose they sell that to the nurseries. People were bringing in trailer loads full of garden greenery to throw out. Boy i can't wait until i can afford a garden mulcher.

2. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

GRRRRRRRR!

I rode to the tip with a friend who had some questionably-toxic stuff she needed to unload. As we approached the unloading spot, there was a sign: 'NO SCAVENGING'.

Nor do they have a place where people can unload potentially useful stuff for someone else.

I saw hundreds of pounds of useful-looking stuff, and started twitching because I couldn't haul it home.

Everyone (incl. our two-faced government) whines about the amount of trash dumped into landfills, but they won't make it easy to reduce the amount. They charge people to dump their trash, then they PAY to have it loaded into huge trucks and taken to the local railroad, and they PAY to have the railroad haul it down to the methane digester near Oregon, 200+ miles/320+ km away, then PAY to have the containers returned for reuse. How stupid is that?

Government: Idiocy in Action.

Sue

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Sue this is the sort of thing that bugs me too. You should ask them why they don't let people scavenge. They will probably tell you its an insurance issue ie health and safety. But you know all this sort of grrr stuff makes me wish for a website where people can whinge about such things and cause enough political upset that the powers might have to change their rules. I know some might say "you wish" but things really are beyond a joke. Alas websites and even blogs are beyond my skill set. But i would love for someone else to do one for Australia.

4. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

" Haha...
    Sunburn,
    Kimbos going to fall inlove with you when he reads you have stopped using TP"

arse washing seems to be trending !

and SB as a human - is disqualified from the love of this misanthropist......
    happy 2011,
    get it while you can....Korea Calling.

cheers
    Kbo

yes , i know!' Im' gone but 'bo' remains.....

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Kimbo mate we've been wondering where you are. Best wishes for the new year :)

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Why am I disqualified?

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Necessity, the mother of invention is a fantastic person.

Two new items i have and am on the way to recycling. The sort of things that ordinarily i would not think of having a use for.

1. A screen door that my neighbour gave me, ostensibly to use as the door for my chicken house. I don't need it for that but its just the thing to make a dry floor for the ducks. I am going to go back and see if he has more.

2. I found a heap of broken concrete slab the other day and had some wonderful ideas about how to use it if i could cut it up into slivers. That proved to be too expensive but i am going to go and get it anyway. I will use it first as an immediate solution to provide stepping stones in our flooded entryway and then when i get around to doing htat area properly, with gravel and nice stones, i will use these slabs elsewhere as crazy paving. In the book i have out of the library there is a nice example of crazy paving that would be lovely with these slabs. The pieces are spaced quite far apart and grass is grown between them. They are placed around the base of a tree. Doing it with this method would not upset the tree at at all and provide a nice appearance. Or in in our case, i could put it around the pump which i think would benefit form such a treatment though not perhaps absolutely essential. Anyway there's no need to rush into it.

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

3. Im going to go back and get more of that concrete slab and pave my mandala garden paths with it. I would like to be able to use up the whole heap.
    4. I remember that in the Nek Chand garden he used porcelain sinks and stuff as tiles for mosaics. I might buy some of those from the demolition joint down the track. Also you can use old plates and I might as well since no one buys this stuff as far as i can tell.

I know its not quite in the spirit of this thread but i bought some stuff yesterday so saved it from the rubbish heap. I bought a fluoro double light for $15. They asked $20 but i didn't have that much left on me. and for $10 at the lifeline shop i got good bargains. I got a lamp stand in good condition and a clothing rack and a piece of steel mesh i can practice my ferrocementing on. So I'm really happy with all that.

I"m wondering if i can use smashed...wait

9. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I was saying....I wonder if i can used smashed old plates in concrete instead of gravel? I might check. It may or may not be cheaper though i'd prefer it were free, of course.

10. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I think secondhand shop shopping is recycling.
    We have a couple a favourite places that always have things we need or want.
    A couple of weeks ago we picked up enough curtains-professionally made- to do the whole house for $50 and they fit the walls we recently painted.

On the concrete, a sledge hammer works really well and is much easier to use than a concrete cutter, so long as its between the hours of dusk and dawn.

11. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Yes but a concrete cutter gives you a nice terrazzo edge. Anyhow i'm over it. Just. I'll just use the sledgehammer for my next load.

12. annette

annette Junior Member

Just put up an old pay tv dish on the verandah. Took all the wires off. It has a perch and the legs were nailed onto the railings. Just waiting for the birds to find it now! :)

13. annette

annette Junior Member

Not long to wait. First visitors are a pair of sulphur crested cockatoos.

14. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    What a neat idea, you have such lovely birds over there.
    I do love our Tui and fantail songs but they arent much too look at.

15. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I love it when you look at some piece/s of 'stuff' you have lying around and get that sudden flash of inspiration. 8) Sometimes I just go down to our junk, er resource area and stand there staring at stuff to see if I can conjure up the second life of something. :D

Some recycled successes we've had lately:

*turning one of those garden gazebo things with the cloth 'roof' (a past christmas present) into a draught excluder for the chook house (the cloth bit) and using the corner frames to construct a grapevine trellis.

*an old home made kids swing set into a large shade frame for the vegie patch
    *two lovely joined dog bed boxes into the ultimate chook nest boxes
    *defunt trampoline into portable vegie patch shade
    *old tent frame pegs into vegie garden fence stakes
    *a shower base/shallow bath into a mini-pond
    *horse pellet feed bags from work to plant potatoes in
    *old washing machine hose, cut to size, split and put over the wire frame edges of my mesh chook house entry
    *round glass insert from dead front loader washing machine put over pots makes a handy mini greenhouse for stuff that likes the extra warmth in the big hothouse

and the usual ones:
    tractor tyres into planters
    old wheelbarrows into planters
    even an old woven laundry basket into a planter

:y:

16. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

17. Terra

Terra Moderator

Wheres Len he is looking for a hoop house , good find G we have the remains of three rectangle frames
    Rob

18. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Well today, I recycled the old trampoline safety net that was being used as extra windbreak around the now unused chooks dome.
    This was cut down to size to make 2 more 'Taranaki' gates for the girls forage yard doors.
    I stapled them onto some thin lengths of wood.
    Six bits of wire stapled in place to hold their heads and their toes and voila- doors.
    They let the light and breeze thru but not the girls.
    My new system, is to have 2 forage yards on each side of a central scratch yard and I needed to be able to keep them out of three of them to help these regenerate after the chooks had been in there for a couple of weeks.

I still had quite abit of the netting left, so this has gone into to the shed for another day. I'm thinking they might work for the doors to the woodshed bays, just have to see when the time comes to sort those out.

19. Terra

Terra Moderator

Thought id give this a bump good thread for regulars and guests
    Recent recycle here old Tuna net to cover my mandala chook dome
    Trampoline made a handy moveable shade on recent 44C days
    Various milk carton seedling guards , cut bottoms off at an angle they also make handy scoops with a handle
    Seen a photo of an old bus made into a greenhouse great idea the windows were opening types , poly carbonate on the roof , growing beds down each side seedling area ect