Recipes from the Perma-Pad

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by milifestyle, Nov 1, 2009.

1. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

With all the Wabbit Wecipies at the moment i though it would be good to have a thread with different recipes from home grown greens, reds, whites and everything in between...

Perhaps a seperate forum would be good for this... maybe Michael or Bill could set that up if its appropriate.

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Re: Recipes from the Perma-Pad

Good idea eric - I will volunteer my fish emulsion recipe :wink:

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Yep... you volunteer that and i'll show you how to clear a room in 5 seconds flat :--)

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

A thread may be a good idea for a start-let's see how good a cook, and how generous in sharing "family heirloom recipes" people are. Besides I think I have forgotten how to make forums (again).
    I have made your post a sticky for a bit.
    Are you thinking of separate threads for each veggie/ animal?
    What got me into this whole growing thing and changed the direction my life was to take forever, was Bernaise Sauceand being sold everything but "French Tarragon" to make it
    and
    Being disgusted by the poor botany skills of botanists and in the Hort. industry (Both tarragons still sport the same botanical name!)
    I will work my way up to posting this life-changing recipe--although even after 40 years I'm still not sure i know how to make it!

5. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    I think a recipes and produce usage forum would be a good idea - I'm sure everyone has some favourites; I tried a rhubarb fool recipe that resulted in me dividing our old plant and lavishing attention on it so I could make this dessert as much as possible, my favourite dessert by far. (thanks to Nigella Lawson, tho I have changed a couple of details so it is officially mine)
    cheers

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I would love to see a 'seasonal recipes' thread or forum. A collection of recipes that have only things that are in season - especially for things that are available at the same time. So many times I read a recipe and I have about half of the ingredients but the other half are from the other end of the year! I don't mind substituting a dried herb for the fresh one if I have too, or using bottled or preserved things, but when it calls for fresh produce from different season is just gives me the....

Actually what I really want to do when I eventually work out what grows when here, is to come up with a sort of loose food plan for the year. You know like I imagine the old families from Italy or Greece or somewhere, where food is part of the yearly cycle and traditional culture. Like one day you cook a chook and the next day you cook up a stock with the bones and what ever else, and the day after that you do what ever comes next, so that there is a succession of meals based around key ingredients. And each season might have a separate set of recipes that follow each other naturally. I've never really had the art of food preparation around me on that level (what I consider a deeper level) - I grew up on meat and three vege. I even remember the revelation that pasta was to the family, or how amazing the idea of Chinese was (when Chinese food meant sweet and sour pork). Thankfully, we eat a pretty awesome range of stuff now. Supermarkets bug me, not for all the obvious reasons that they bug everyone, but because of what they do to seasonal and regional culture.

There's my rant and wish list

7. Michaelangelica

Good thinking. After chatting with other moderators it looks like this is a goer.
    The seasonal produce idea is a great way of going. How to do though?
    I will have to put my little bear brain into gear to figure out how to incorporate it given the limitations of this DF program ( which is OD for a system upgrade) and me.( Which is OD for a system upgrade).

Do you want it to be just FOOD or also include concoctions, remedies, cleaners, recommended books. . .?

8. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Perhaps a seperate category and seasonal subforums... but that might be going a bit far in the beginning. Might be just a seperate forum and split it into subs if it takes off ?

9. Michaelangelica

OK
    I'll do it now-- or do you want to?

10. Michaelangelica

I've been working on this for over four hours Millie
    I seem to have buggered something.
    Can you give me a hand please?
    It may have something to do with setting "permissions" correctly. (?)

11. Michaelangelica

Finally got it done

Now, how to move these recipes over"

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Sorry Michael, started packing last night and didn't get to bed till 2:00am then up at 7:00 to get the kids off... i'll be offline most of the day... i'll get back to you this evening...

Then again, i can't seem to stay away from this place now that my business is totally home based.

13. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    Not sure if the seasonal part of it is workable with participants on the forum all over the world now, and at the least in very different climate zones within Australia?
    cheers

14. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Okay..
    Tonights dinner
    Rocket fresh from the garden sprinkled with a splish of balsamic vinegar and a dash of oil.
    Cut schnitzel into thin slices and stirfry with finely chopped garlic greens til just cooked.
    Plate up:Rocket on first with schnitzel over the top and seasoned with salt and pepper.

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Last nights dinner - home made tomato sauce with lots of home grown herbs, mixed through mince fried up with home grown zucchini, tossed over pasta.

16. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I feel a bit naughty giving this sort of response to this thread as I am a newbie here but I am sincere and its feedback. Take it or leave it.

About whether a thread/forum where people share their recipes is a good idea - I believe the idea is back to front. I have seen it work well when people ask in a new thread for a recipe they want and then those who have ideas can share them. I come to this conclusion from another forum i was on for some time. There people would say I have this in my fridge right now, what can i cook with it? or How do you make such and such? Or what should I cook for dinner I have someone coming over? This sort of thread had a high participation rate. Aside from the person who asked getting what they wanted, those of us who replied also enjoying comparing our own ideas on a given topic with others.

The other way around when people willy nilly spend their time adding their own recipes to a list seems to me to invite neglect. People will add their recipes but will anyone bother to try them out. What would induce anyone to read through the long thread.

Anyhow, that's my point of view on this question.

17. ppp

ppp Junior Member

sun burn.. start the thread! i like the idea.. give it a whirl

tonight for dinner, 4 days after the birth of our first child, we've had silver beet slice (large bunch silver beet from garden cooked down in pan, 7 eggs from chooks, one onion, 1 clove garlic, mix and bake.. REALLY yum!) plus corn and potato (got some in, not ready yet) :)