Raw Milk/Honey

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Train Man, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Train Man

Train Man New Member

Hi everyone,

New to this forum (and forums period!). Does anyone in Sydney please know where I can get raw (un-Pasteurised) milk and honey that hasn't been heat extracted/treated?

I live in West Ryde/Denistone in Sydney (postcode 2114).

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve (Train Man)

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  3. pfraser

pfraser Junior Member

Just wanted to say that if you come across a source of local unpasteurised milk, we're looking for one too! (We're in Kenthurst).

At some stage in the next year or two we hope to get a cow (we're on 1ha) and will have a limited supply, but unfortunately we're not really ready yet and one cow isn't much help... A reliable larger source would be really great to find! :)

I know you can buy raw goat's milk near us (Dural area) and Cleopatra's bath milk is available from some stores/markets (eg Forestville/Frenchs Forest), but goat milk isn't our thing and the forest area is too far from us... So we'd really love any tips if you come across them! :)

All the best with the hunt,
    Philippa

4. pfraser

pfraser Junior Member

Oh, sorry forgot to say, there are heaps of sources of untreated honey around here - lots of locals have their own bees and it's available from the gate, etc. For a consistent source, we usually buy it at the chicken factory at middle dural on Old Nthn Road... Produced at 'the pines' 656 Old Nthn Rd Dural and as far as I know it's 100% pure and local. If it's not what you're looking for, there are certainly plenty of other sources around here.

If you need more info, please let me know! :)

All the best,
    Philippa

5. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

untreated milk is usually sold as bath milk or cleopatras bath milk in organic shops. Because oficcilay I think it is not allowed to sell .

Is unpasteurized cheese allowed? The real good cheeses are unpasteurized, Gryere, goats cheese, good camenbert etc.

6. katwittmann

katwittmann Junior Member

There's a farmgate up here ( Clarence Town / Dungog area, NW of Newcastle NSW) selling untreated milk (unpasteurised, unhomogenised) (that's the gold top sort) and I believe they're taking milk to some market in Sydney. The milk is delicious. It is from Jersey cows so has the benefits of something else that they provide.... we just like the big plug of cream in the top of the bottle and the amazing creamy taste - probably badfat city, but a little every now and again is a treat. It comes in the regular size 2L plastic bottles.
    If you're interested pm me and I'll give them a call and post up where they market in the city.

7. ali_celt

ali_celt Junior Member

Interesting.
    Here it is illegal to sell unpastuerised milk. I would have assumed it was a nation-wide thing.
    You can sell un-homogenised milk, (milk with the cream still floating) and there are a number of companies who do that here, but to sell un-pasteurised milk is illegal.

There is a place near me where you can get around this by purchasing a share in a cow. If you part own the cow, then part of the milk belongs to you and the farmer isn't selling it to you, he's just harvesting your property. THen you can do whatever you want with it.

8. katwittmann

katwittmann Junior Member

oops, forget all I claimed, the milk is pasteurised. Buy a housecow!