Quote of the day- Clive Hamilton

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Peter Clements, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Peter Clements

Peter Clements Junior Member

Here's a quote from Clive Hamilton, director of the Australia Institute, that expresses the possibilities of what some have referred to as "downshifting", the move to a more sane existence by recognising the shallowness of a consumption driven lifestyle.

"For despite its extraordinary successes, and at a time of complete political hegemony, capitalism is more fragile than it has ever been. Why? With more wealth at their disposal than ever before, most people could simply choose not to participate- to no longer notice the advertisements, to step off the materialist treadmill, to discard the DVD player, the second house, the luxury car, the holidays abroad, the meaningless acquisitions. To do so would not mean taking to the barricades, or putting themselves on the breadline. All it takes is a recognition that personal contentment is more important than money, and that it is possible to find a purpose in life that is fulfilling and self-expressive." -Clive Hamilton
    https://www.tai.org.au/WhatsNew_Files/Wh ... LPLeft.pdf

2. Mike_E_from_NZ

Mike_E_from_NZ Junior Member

Doesn't Australia have new laws about that type of thing? I'm sure that would be interpreted as economic terrorism - which probably carries a 500 year jail sentence.

:)

Mike

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

mike_E,

HAHAHA..... Scary thought and I would like to point out that this is not the case in australia.

[ SO DONT POST ANYTHING LIKE THIS OR ITS A LOOPHOLE THE ARSEHOLES ARE SURE TO BLOCK!!!]

Although I do like the thought of we permies being viewed as subversives. Anyone into aquaponics would obviously be labelled a submersive. :D :D

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Many people HAVE no personal contentment. That's why they are driven to buy (and often soon discard) all the trappings of our current form of "civilization". It's artificial lives lived by people who have no concept WHATSOEVER of what is really important.

Sue

5. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I bought an iPod this week. I was hoping to use it to listen to lectures about history and biology while I potted on thousands of forest trees, cuttings of leguminous groundcovers, etc etc etc. The darned thing broke two days after I took it out of the box. I took it back to the store and got my money back, but, exactly the same thing happened to me a few months ago with another brand of the same toy (or can it justifiably be called a tool in this context?). I don't know if they rebuild these returns and sell them in the developing world or if they just end up on the scrap heap, but I feel wretched about it all either way. I really want to have what the technology supposedly promises but apparently can't actually deliver to me. I am ashamed that I want to have this crap so badly, but I do! I do!
    No, I'm not getting them wet when I water my plants...

6. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Richard, are you beating them with rocks or something?

Sue

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Richard,

Ask for the model they sell to teenagers.

My kids have 2 varieties of those things [one is iRiver] and for the last year they have been excellent. The iRiver can be plugged into mains and external speakers attached. I have heard the eldest run it thru a car stereo system too.

I wouldnt have one but my kids work [cleaning contracting] and use them daily.

Cheers

floot

8. murray

murray Junior Member

richard, which ipod did you get?

a hard drive one? 20Gb, 40Gb, 60Gb? or a nano 1Gb? if you got a hard drive one, maybe you were unlucky enough to have the hard drive crash in it. you could try a nano which has no moving parts and the memory is flash-based, so it can't really fail.

the nanos are the really thin, tiny ones.
    https://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

cheers

m

9. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

yeah, I got a nano, 2gb. It was the screen that cracked, the hard drive and everything was fine, it still played, but I couldn't navigate the menu so it wasn't very good!
    I have since discovered that there are as many different aftermarket cases as my dog has hairs, including ones that surfers use while they are um, surfing. That is pretty good? If those bozo's at hookipa can listen to aerosmith while they carve it up I should be alright to listen to Phillip Adams while I make arachis cuttings...
    Uh, no Sue, not rocks or anything. I think the earlier one that I got, a Creative Zen Nano, may have fallen foul of the humidity in the nursery, cause I was listening to it a lot or while I was propagating. Or maybe it a was the tiny little cinder rocks getting in the works, I don't know... The apple Nano, heck I don't think I so much as brushed up against a wheelbarrow with it in my pocket. I called around to a few local dealers as well as Apple hq in south asia, and they all weren't suprised. "Oh you put it in your pocket? Yeah, you probably bent it".
    Crikey...

10. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Maybe we should all re learn to hum our favorite songs like the old days.
    Yeah ,Yeah ,Yeah,

On my trip around aussie i carried about 40 of my favorite cds, unknown to this ex techno boy.This other guy we met on Frazer island told me he had bout 3000 songs on this tiny bit of plastic and wires called an ipod It made me think what the hell am i carrying all these cd cases ful of disks :( :( :(

As we were jamming together with our guitars for our fraser island captive audience.I soon realized his system no matter how many songs was on it we couldnt quite hear it enough when playing along to the music....
    Proving if nothing else that for sound you cant beat a car audio system with big hardy speakers..

Now in my back garden i have huge speakers that blast or gently play the music of my choice loud enough to hear over MY Aquaponics systems pump sounds.....All that unning areated water makes a noise :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not to mention the clanging of yabbie claws

Tezza