Quince Paste

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by Grahame, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I made some quince paste last night, it took about 5 hours. It's now sitting in the laundry to set. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to use it! I've read that you can use it on toast or scones, and that it goes really well with goats milk cheese. Any other suggestions?

Anyone else make it?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I wish I could grow quinces.... I love quince paste with a really bitey mature blue cheese and a cracker. Mmmmmmmm

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It's one of those recipes that makes me think... How did someone come up with this? But then again I think that about a lot of things. Beer for example - those Mesopotamians were a crazy bunch.

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Like Vegemite - who would think to try eating the scum off a brewers barrel?

5. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

It's one of those things that has limited uses for me, but I still think it's amazing.
    A dollop added to Middle Eastern stews/tagine.
    Actually anything Middle Eastern: grilled eggplant with feta, parsley and quince paste...
    Melted, it's the best glaze ever for fruit tarts, baked fruit etc.
    I always end up with quantities of jam/jelly/paste every year. I don't really eat bread and it gets used in poached fruit, especially rhubarb, apple crumble...
    It's great with sheep/goat meat.
    I just had a lentil, feta and rocket salad. Diced quince paste would've been nice...

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I made it once about 15years ago
    Used it with cheese on a platter and ate it straight with walnut bread.
    I loved it just dont have access to Quinces anymore.
    Used to have a big tree in the backyard(as a kid) they are nice eaten fresh when really ripe,mum would make jam with them and use the leaves in stew (like a bay leaf).

7. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Grasshopper, I've never heard of eating uncooked quinces!
    Do you think it was a kid thing, like when we spent lots of our time eating grass stems, random berries, limpets etc and pronounced them all delicious? (limpets, btw, are NOT delcious...)
    The amazing, almost bubblegum-fake aroma always made me want to eat them raw, but after one rather polystyreney experience, not so much.
    They were later joined by olives, and both are on my 'don't accept produce from old Italian guys who can't keep a straight face' list...

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

No they where nice from memory firm but sweet had to be really ripe,I dont have overly sweet tastes but my Mum and I loved eating them of the tree.
    PS
    Limpets are actually not bad either ;)

9. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

As kids, we'd give pretty much anything a go. Limpets were always there whatever the tide so we consumed quite a few, but they had a strange bitter aftertaste. Maybe it was our wild West Coast, NZ limpets' attempt at self-defence... but their evolution certainly didn't involve repelling roving gangs of feral kids!
    I just realised it's about quince season. I will find a ripe and aromatic specimen, wipe off the fuzz, take a bite and report back...