question for gardenlen or others - sugar / nematodes

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sindhooram, May 8, 2011.

1. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

hello - I was looking at the website of gardenlen and the remedies...
    There is a remedy for nematodes that says to put sugar in the planting hole of tomatoes at transplant time. Are you saying that sugar kills nematodes?
    I am just wondering as I sometimes get problems with root Knot nematodes.

Thank you

2. matto

matto Junior Member

Not sure about sugar,,, but what does mustard do to root issues?

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I use molasses and it seems to work well
    I also use marigolds

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes sugar or molasses are good deteents commonly used by organic gardeners around brisbane. also marigold, one gardener grows his marigold up (the french one i think?) then pulls them out shreds them up and puts that into a trench in the middle of his garden, also growing the marigolds around the edges supposed to work as well. this gardener also mixes 1 kilo of molasses into 10 litres of water and waters his pre-planted beds with it, sugar can be substituted that is what molasses is.

have never had nematodes though we don't rotate crop, try not to plant right into exact spot, but since we went to heavy mulching an tucking food scraps under mulch as well as old vege' plants all grows well. maybe also it is that we use lots of sugar cane mulch?

len

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    The sugar or molasses has the effect of dehydrating the nematodes - but remember it also dehydrates beneficial nematodes and other organisms so use with some caution. It can also boost some beneficial organisms in smaller concentrations.

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I have used this remedy to good effect.
    The soil in my very first garden was incredibly low in organic matter.
    I had major problems until I realized that my plants were infested with root knot nematodes
    The theory is that the sugar results in an increase in nematode predators (that are biologically related to yeast).
    You need also to mulch incredibly heavily; you are trying to crate an environment that yeast like organisms would like and thrive in.
    I remember I used an 8-10 mulch of straw as well as the sugar.
    The nematode problem resolved itself within a year.
    A much better remedy than that of fumigating all my soil as I was advised to do by Agricultural authorities

7. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

thank you for the replies.....I have been mulching heavily for a couple of years now...I have noticed much less problems than before in the first garden bed we made - I have beans growing their healthily that before got infected within no time in that place.
    However this year we noticed root nematodes in a few of the tomatoes we grew in containers on the roof which didn't happen the year before. The only new thing I added to the soil was cow dung and our homemade compost.....is it possible for nematodes to come from either of those mediums?
    It seems like the sugar thing may be good to try for that purpose.....

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Uhm about sugar vs molasses.

Sticky situation for me this is. ;) Molasses is generally sulphered, and sulpher is a known centuries old fungicide & that can be mildly phytotoxic to plants, more so when lime is present. However, Molasses, honey, other sugars will increase microbial content, & increases the use of Nitrogen more effectively, thus helping regrowth of the plant.

Because of this, I would reccomend not placing it in the ground as raw granulated, or powdered, but rather mixed into a solution with water. Placing sugar as described would signifigantly deaden the fungal root layer around the plant making it harder for the plant to grow the commensal roots that all plants enjoy.

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

If it doesn't get hot enough you can house cutworms and all sorts of unfriendly things.