Purchasing fish in Sydney

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Tim R, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Tim R

Tim R Junior Member

Is there a resource to help me find or does anyone know where I can buy fish (edible) that has been raised in a healthy and sustainable environment anywhere in Sydney.

I think I saw on the Hawkesbury Harvest site there is a place down south near the Gong. Is there anywhere closer I can buy fish? I am in NW Sydney but happy to travel in Sydney metro.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day tim,

do you want fish ready to eat?

if so as far as i know sydney has a very active fish market, farmed fish are doubtful as far as i am concerned so if i where to buy a fish for supper it would have to be a local live caught fish, off our menu as fresh fish is over the top for price as the asian market drives prices up. if you want fingerlings to stock a dam, maybe DPI can help?

len

3. Tim R

Tim R Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Len.

We have a seafood shop close by which sells fish sourced from Sydney market.

I guess I didn't put my question right. But I was wanting to know if anyone farmed fish which sells direct to the public? I found a place in Penrith that has a huge aquaponic setup, but they only sell wholesale or to restaurants. Although they do have a restaurant attached to their business so I might check it out one day.

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but I don't like to buy fish because I'm concerned about stock levels and also pollution.

I built up a mini aquaponic system last summer from recycled material and stocked it with mosquito fish and grew some Asian greens. This was a first try to see how everything went together. Once I can get my hands on some IBC tanks at a less than outrageous price I'm going to give the real thing a go.

It seems reasonable that a backyard operation could produce a large amount of fish. This got me thinking if there was anyone selling their excess locally.

4. Terra

Terra Moderator

5. Lesley W

Lesley W Junior Member

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

thanks tim,

for me it is live caught or not at all, farmed fish are not grown naturally, they get all sorts of things in their diet similar to feedlot cattle.

our need for fish in our diet has nothing to do with depleting stocks because of local consumption it has lots to do with commercial fishing getting bigger and bigger and harvesting fish from teh rivers; the bays; out to deep ocean and into antarctic waters.

we need a sustainable local fishery not influenced by world markets.

https://news.greenpeace.org.au/rp//...53962&Token=2EEB423651D55230D0DE8DDBF8486E9C2

https://www.communityrun.org/petitions/stop-giant-fishing-trawler-in-tasmania?time=1345096388

not a supporter of the way GP do things so far lots of donated money expended and little more than a ships crew having a good time doing what they want. we need to unite and pressure our gov' to take action, piracy activity just isn't doing it.

this ship being here shows that the little aussie voter has no say and no leadership that is sustainable. no political party can solve our problems as they become more powerful they become just as corrupted. we are being reduced to eating imported fish with more sinister residues than omega 3.

len

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

It is difficult but not impossible to have farmed fish in an aquaponic set up that doesn't feed them pellets made from fish caught unsustainably..
    Obviously Tilapia are the most sustainable fish in aquaponic set up as they eat virtually anything and breed.(unfortunately they are illegal in Australia as they breed like rabbits and would out compete all natives)
    Pretty sure silver perch is the closest you can get in an Australian fish that eats virtually anything.
    So you can use feeds made from beer waste, soldier fly larva,duck weed etc.
    Major thing I would be asking when sourcing fish is what do you feed them.