Public Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by scott-white, Feb 17, 2014.

1. scott-white

scott-white New Member

I'm just wondering if anyone in Australia has public liability insurance for workshops and courses being run on their properties?

My understanding is property insurance isn't adequate and there needs to be events insurance or something similar which is amazingly expensive!

Does anyone bother with it? Do you use some other form of protection from indemnity such as waivers?

We personally think that this shouldn't be an issue..... but sadly some people disagree with us.

Any thoughts?

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Good question Scott. When I've been involved in putting on yearly Pc Conferences, there has always been taken out an umbrella liability policy (last year $400 was budgeted for insurance for a 3-day event of ~300 attendees). This is in the US.

Anyone else? This is an important consideration and I'm not sure that even waivers are totally sufficient to protect oneself in a litigious society.

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Ban any whingers .. insurance who needs it ? Man of your skills should be able to handle most emergencies Scott .

4. Bananarama

Bananarama Junior Member

Hi, I was an insurance broker in Australia and can give you the run down about why people/organisations get it and how it works if you're interested.

However, it is interesting to swap stories, and creatively manage potential risks. Fear of getting sued is certainly a limiting factor in many ventures.