Property Security

Discussion in 'General chat' started by milifestyle, Sep 24, 2011.

1. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Not that I say this as a huge issue, but I have been considering & wondering...

I have been looking at a property about an hour from where we live. Its about 1.5 acres of mostly heathland... Currently priced at $15,000.

Property gets some snow cover in winter and its longest boundary faces North.

Its a property I would establish from a distance for some time and I was wondering what is the best security measures to prevent spiteful destruction of the property.

If someone needs a feed of fresh veggies I don't mind the trespass but I'd like to protect it from blatant attack... It may be a week or two between working visits!

My long term aim is for this to be a Permie training property.

The property is a blank canvas with no services on site (I will establish solar and wind for basics if I end up purchasing the property)

Any ideas on budget property security measures?

2. Sezmo

Sezmo Junior Member

You could build or install a dwelling, and offer someone free rent to caretake for you?

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Thanks, Sezmo... I will be doing that over a period of a couple of years... Trying to get it established debt free.

I hope to have a couple of vans or cabins and an amenities building/shed at some stage. Though it is a small property and I don't want to use too much ground space in non productive buildings etc. potential is there to purchase surrounding vacant land if it come available...

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    "Establish and maintain friendly relations with the natives"
    Neighbours in rural areas usually look out for each other.

Camoflage buildings with vine covered trellises?
    Second thoughts, you guys have problems with fires dont you, so I guess thats probably not so smart after all.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Attack geese?

6. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

7. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi Mili

Great intentions there. I suppose it depends on those who live around there and their intentions. If you could provide a little caravan or something rent free and ask for someone to caretake you might be able to do it. Or maybe hide the entrance to your property? I know people who come to visit me sometimes drive straight past but i have no fence or anything.

Dont worry about being a greenie in a mining town. Just be who you are and if your intentions are good then all will be well. When people see that your intentions are pure and there are no ulterior motives, some will come around. Others won't.

Gook luck.

Cheers
    Annette

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

What's the density of people surrounding the property? Road next to property? Visibility to road? Traffic amounts? Socio-economic status(mining indicates higher than average wage, less likely to steal)?

Any fence, or even electric, is easily surmountable by anyone with a need. Even my dog chewed through an electric fence tape to get out (in 7 or 8 places).

If the surrounding neighbours are likely to steal, not much you can do to stop them even if you lived there. Geese, dogs, peacocks are good but need more than two week visits.

I'd plant a thick, bland-ish native boundary, scrubby-looking, and then conduct operations inside. But even then, fortnightly visits, skip the annuals and put in your long-term stuff. Nothing to steal for a while.

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Thanks for the ideas... Not concerned about anyone stealing as such... must be desperate for a feed if they are going to steal some vegies... i'm happy to feed the hungry masses... only considering possible property damage!

10. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

So damage to the solar/wind installations? Or just vandalism to plantings? Shipping container has some significant security built in, that would be good for everything else.

11. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Shipping container is a great solution... something to mount the solar panels to, a secure lock up for gear etc. Doesn't take up a lot of ground space... Doesn't require council approval (generally if its tidy and has a coat of paint)... can be converted into a dwelling for wwoofers...

Perfect...

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Yes, I was going to suggest you could keep your battery storage for your panels secure (if using battery). And Eco posted some nice shipping container homes not too long ago.