Preparing for Zaytuna 10wk internship. Help?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by amyitispds, Nov 30, 2009.

1. amyitispds

amyitispds Junior Member

Hey All!!,
    My name is David Stockhausen.
    Greetings from San Francisco CA! I run a little backyard sharecropping biz here in the city. I recently signed up for the 10 week internship at Zaytuna Farm beginning on Jan. 24th. I am so excited to share my journey in to permaculture. I just finished my PDC here in SF with two great teachers Kevin Bayuk and David Cody. Their focus with the PDC was shifted a bit to really include more applications for urban environments (dare I say the next true frontier for perm?) At any rate, I was hoping to meet and start up a conversation about the 10 week.
    Has anyone here done it? If so please share some useful tips! I really would love a comprehensive packing list from someone who's been there. This will be my first time in Australia, so any bit helps.

Thanks all,

David

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: Preparing for Zaytuna 10wk internship. Help?

G'day David

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Concerning urban permaculture; good to see that your PDC incorporated a percentage of urban content. With half of the world's population now living in an urban environment, and a projected 70% by the year 2050 (see: https://esa.un.org/unup/), now is a good time to be planning ahead for the inevitable.

Concerning your up-coming internship; congratulations on choosing Zaytuna! I have not been to the property myself, but know the general area quite well. What to pack? Given the weather (see: Vhttps://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_ ... period=feb) during that time of the year, I'd take two pair of jocks (underwear - pure cotton is best), a pair of thongs (rubber sandals, or even better, leather), a hat (broad brim), a couple of shirts (cotton - long sleeve), a couple of pair of shorts (cotton), a toothbrush, a sense of adventure, and a preparedness to have fun!

Concerning your desire to hook up with others who may have done/will be doing the internship; this is the place to find them. Best of wishes for your journey. Don't forget to come back here often and tell us how you are getting on.

Cheerio, Marko.

3. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

I can give you some help.I have been to the property and it's surrounds on a number of occasions,for PDC and internships,etc etc.I would suggest that you learn to rise early,Geoff is a well known work horse up at the first bird call,this also allows you an opportunity for osmosis learning.Be prepared for a huge learning experience.Farm life is simple,frugal and healthy,much of the food is from the farm.You will undoubtably need good shoes and a few good note books and some gloves,ticks can be a problem.
    The farm is frequented by many nationality's and religions and it would be advisable to be respectful of this.There is a small general store,and a pub down the road.
    Zaytuna farm is a drug free zone and a place of learning.
    Not only will drug use, put you in danger because of the many hazzards associated with farms,but it is detremental to learning at such a high level.
    They have an excellent local market(Channon) and some world class bush walking note (Protesters Falls)Nimbin and the Erda institute run by Robyn Francis is about 30 minutes by car.The many animal systems,main crop,extensive earth works,food forests and kitchen gardens will provide a broad over view of most things permaculture,they have a nice library to get through.Geoff and Nadia are kindly hosts and share their home area with amazing grace.It's important to remember that it is not just a learning institute but also their home.
    The whole show is run on solar so it is good to have best practice energy use as you will be sharing finite resources in a communal setting.An example would be 4 minute showers,recharging laptops on sunny days,good load size in washing machines,turning lights off etc etc.The composting tea component is done by Paul Taylor who is in my humble opinion one of the best speakers on the subject of soil and biology getting around.Hope this helps.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)

Great post Bernado!

5. amyitispds

amyitispds Junior Member

Thanks all for your suggestions,

I am excited to share a multi-cultural journey with people from all over the world and I have no need for stimulants so I think I will fit in well there. I have worked on many different farms here in the US and am comfortable with the overall farm lifestyle. However, the subtropical climate will ( I imagine) provide my most potent challenge. As I have only ventured to subtropical regions once prior, I struggle with having realistic expectations of climate there in mid summer (I am an experiential learner :).

Being that I will be living in a tent (a prospect that excites me) is it really advisable to bring a laptop? I imagine the humid wet environment being a deathwish for electronics, particularly cumbersome laptops. Geoff said that internet access was available for a limited daily time. Does anyone know if it is Wi-Fi? I have an Iphone that would probably work better than a laptop me-thinks.

Also- travel to the farm from Brisbane.

Are there busses that run from Brisbane? Any recommendations?

thanks,

David

6. sam

sam Junior Member

Hello amyitispds,

I'm USA too and I am planning to go there as well, have you figured out which visa do you need? I would like to know.

best regards,
    sam