Prefab Permaculture

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Peter Clements, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Peter Clements

Peter Clements Junior Member

It can be hard creating a permaculture property on your own, as Toby Hemenway discovered in this article: https://www.pathtofreedom.com/resources/ ... &Itemid=60
    But could an organised group of permies approach the councillors of country towns to negotiate some cheap land for an eco-village subdivision? I'm sure the councillors would appreciate the increased voters! Then the permies could live near each other and assist each other, each family having a particular specialty that they trade surplus with the other members of the community. To choose a town, I reckon you look for a coastal area with a train station...

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Great idea....

Something touched upon in another thread that warrants discussion though..

Why on earth is the ideal permaculture property near the coast...CROSS THE DIVIDE for a few reasons..

1. the other 90% of australia is there
    2. land is cheaper
    3. larger parcels of land
    4. you wont get built out

I just cant see why so many posts start with 'a piece of land near the coast'.. are we really all surfers?

cheers.

3. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

No we aren't. As long as I have mountains nearby I'm happy, but Hubby has this idea that he will take up surfing again...

On a more practical note there are more jobs available along the coastal regions. Want to move outback somewhere and find you have zero prospect of getting a job?

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Just to repeat, the permie village thing is a great idea.

Outback?? no jobs?? I suppose I live outback, I do live remote.

I currently pay labourers $40k and have hired 3 cleaners at $45k for standard weeks... and their accommodation and all food were provided. My truck drivers on a standard week are on $65k and others on more. All of them are city folk who have come here to make money.

All these rates include overtime penalties etc. to which they are entitled.

There are 000s of jobs in the Outback... I do believe things may be different in rural NSW due to the lingering drought.

I certainly wasnt implying that 'coast' was bad in any way... you just have to pay for it. Job opportunities are not unique to the coast and should be evaluated before any move. If people do not have sufficient resources to purchase coastal land there is a lot of australia where land is not at a premium, although quality soil costs whereever you buy it.

Cheers

5. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Teachers, nurses, ambulance officers, police, etc etc etc are all paid the same rate ..Sydney or west of the great divide. Any tradesman can come to a rural town and set up business...no where near enough builders, plumbers, etc etc.
    There may be a little less choice for non skilled labour than in the city but I have my doubts.
    Resisting the urge to climb back on my soapbox.....anyone wishing to check out life outside Sydney come and stay here and look about the area.
    Anyone interested in buying into a property PM and will talk about ideas.
    Cathy

6. Peter Clements

Peter Clements Junior Member

Coastal ideas

Apart from the surfing, the coastal idea is attractive because the ocean provides a massive hinterland for the harvest of seafood, that is still available even for the smallest landholder- all you need is a small boat and a fishing licence.

7. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

I've wondered the same thing (as an ex-pat Canuck). Why not get a big bunch of you guys together and create your own community out there? I'd imagine that you could get gov't assistance for such a project. Think big!

8. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Yeah, it is a great idea. There are so many aspects of designing for an ecovillage to take into account, of course. Anyone here attended Robyn Francis' course on just that? I have wanted to do one of those ever since I heard her speak on the subject at one of Leo Mahon's Permaculture expo's in Brissie. She talked about how a succesful community designs for people in all stages of their lives, not just when they are active young and middle aged gardening types, but for when they are children and aged also... I love the idea of a Permopolis (stealing Leo's word there) where all the industries are designed to complement each other and take up each others waste products etc.
    So, who's going to buy up the ghost town and get it going?

9. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

See the various postings at my group site, be glad to help. Rob https://groups.yahoo.com/group/intention ... yvictoria/

10. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

Russell Austerberry had been working on a big project in Brisbane when I took a PDC with him there. I don't know where his team is at now, but he was very keen on it and they had a big chunk of land to work with. Mind you, this is "on the coast."

11. jackie

jackie Junior Member

David Holmgren in his talk at the opening of the Melbourne PC convergence in Melb last year replied to a question about how you go about stating your own community with an answer along the lines of joinning the one you live in. And he's idealistically correct. If our suburbs and towns are to florish post peak oil we will need to return to much more localised everything. I'm thinking along the lines of joining a community in a country town rather than creating one.

A great artical (whilst American) which describes fantastic criteria for a post "peak oil" location has been written by Paula Hay 6/3/06 in "adaption" her web mag. Titled "escape from megaloplis'. https://adaptationzine.com/content/megalopolis.

Does any one know of any climate change/ peak oil relocation reseach going on in Australia?

12. jackie

jackie Junior Member

13. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Jackie - The megopolis article is excellent. There must be quite a few places in regional Australia that fit the criteria. Being within a bicycle ride of a town with a working - or revivable - rail connection and a farmers market would be key criteria for me. Any number of small towns would wlecome an environmentally friendly development like Davis homes or Crystal Waters on their doorstep. Does anyone have a place in mind?

14. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

15. Richard on Maui

Rob, I completely missed your posts in this thread until tonight. I will have to catch up on reading your links some time when I am not about to fall asleep! Thanks for posting.

16. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Will go look into some of these links....thanks everyone.
    My apologies to those that have heard my soapbox before..leave the coast Go West Young Man.
    We have a 450acs property in Canowindra, central west NSW. Farmers Markets in 3 surrounding regional cities, 30min to 1hrs 15mins away. Lots of commercial organic growing in the area. Electric train to Sydney from Lithgow 2hrs away. Local schools, doctors, hospital even can get a Latte in town 4 days a week at the Deli Lama...very trendy little delicatesssan...Sydney Ex-pats
    We would love to see our place as an eco village...the grazing, cropping land subsidising the members. Solar feed back to the grid, own biodiesel plant for fuel etc etc etc
    So far it's only a dream, the only feedback I've recieved so far is couple people want ing to live there for free or for us to pay them for work. That is apart from the support for the idea from other members here. We would like to have others buy into the property so we all have an equal financial stake. Actual work done in farming will vary, some will work off farm and pay for their share of farm labour and others may prefer to do the actual work. Income could be generated from a caravan camping ground and also WWOOF'ers would be a source of labour, knowledge and interest.
    Still keep dreaming!!
    Cathy

17. Richard on Maui

Cathy if you could grow coconuts or even bananas I would be all over your place like a rash.
    You have the right idea, and you will find the right people who also have the right idea. Be patient. There are so many people out there that want to develop the same way of life as you do, I am sure.
    Have you been checking out the intentional community type web sites and forums? Type intentional community in your search engine. What about the GEN, global ecovillage network? they probably have a forum, the oceania hq is at crystal waters I believe.
    A lot of people in the "movement" are more about spirituality and all that than growing food, and of course a lot people who are about Permaculture don't grow much food! but you probably know that.
    Thought of going up to Nimbin for one of Robyn Francis' courses on building sustainable communities? Probably be able to hook up with likeminded folk at something like that too.
    Got a web page? pictures of your place, a bit of a blurb about your vision and ethics would be a good starting point to direct people who you come across on the web or at the Deli Llama or wherever, I would have thought...
    Good luck, you bioneer you!

ps do you mind me asking how much you got your 450 acres for?

18. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hi Peter......

I am currently involved with an eco village being set on permi lines at a place called Bega. (far south coast of NSW) It's called Bega Eco Neighbourhood Development, 20 k from the coast, 35 acres of alluvial deposit, nth facing blocks. 23 House sites on about 7 acres are now getting ready to be sold off as soon as the D.A. is through, the rest of the development will be a CSA farm, timber and orchards......we have a membership of 90 so far and all the blocks have been spoken for. ( I think)

It has a been a very long and winding road as the local council here has had to be educated about permaculture strategies, technology and lifestyles. But because of the major changes with our environment and the national economic trends this has forced people (in power) to rethink how we live on this planet and we seem to be getting through to them. I'm involved as a project worker trying to get affordable housing off the ground at BEND. I'm working towards a diploma in permaculture later on, documenting my work and practicing my permi knowledge at a community level.

They have a new website...still getting established but you can see a bit of it here....

https://www.bend.org.au

We are even making the local developers interested.

goodluck in your search

19. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I had heard of the Bega project and i'm pleased it is suceeding, i'll investigate it further and check out the BEND site. We bought our place in 2 parts but together with large farm house cost about $500,000. There is a similar property down the road...better cattle yards but derelict house for $495,000. There are a few other places around that price...can find the web addy if you're interested Richard but no coconuts or bananas but lots of stone fruit and grapes. Hot dry summers and cool to cold winters.
    Cathy

20. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Would also like to put a word in for the outback. Yes its hot in summer and cold in winter. Yes its a long way from anywhere. But so cheap. If you want to bring life back to basics, try sitting out there for a while. I bought a house on 1/2 acre in dead centre of small outback country town for $32K. Cheaper than a car. About 100 years old but seriously stable structurally. Unlimited water. Good neighbours. I can now afford to let my daughter live in it where she keeps the largest collection of poultry you have ever seen and the neighbours love it because it gives them something to look at. She distributes eggs around and they throw their scraps over the fence for the chooks. Plenty of room left for veges and because everything is one block away, she doesn't have to run a car. Yes, jobs can be few and far between but they are crying out for people in the west. It just needs a group of like minded people to decide to move their and the businesses and jobs would upscale to suit the population. Instantly the hospital and schools would not be in danger of closing and businesses would employ again. Councils only too glad to assist any increase to the population and would probably help attract funding for this or that if approached. Everyone get together on this!