Poorly potatoes

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tulipwood, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Tulipwood

Tulipwood Junior Member

Re: Poorly potatoes

OK these dastardly creatures are now on my tomatoes. I'm squashing them each morning, and have given the tomatoes a seaweed foliar spray to give them strength. I think I've got them pretty well controlled at the moment. But is there any spray that would be quicker and more effective - ie soap or water spray or something like that?
    I've only seen a couple of lady beetles and have squashed them, but it's mostly the larvae that are the problem.
    Tulipwood

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I would once recommend Derris Dust for Tomatoes. Its not recommended for organic gardeners as much any more. Something to do with high levels of rotenone in the crushed root.

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Very effective (if you want to kill the buggers) is rhubarb leaves boiled up and sprayed on the things. Watch you don't get good bugs as well. Better is the bug juice which is made from the bug itself after you have squashed them and put the juice in a spray bottle of water. They can offer us proof that we arte sometime necessary as prevention in the garden and the benificials can not always do it alone.

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

and here i was just thinking the other day! how these potato decimating beetles never ever attack our tomato's though science will tell us they are of the same or similar family, must admit leaves look similar as do the blooms i suppose, but they don'tcross pollinate do they huh?

anyhow and now tulipwood has this beetle attacking her tom's?? i have 2 potato plants still hanging on out there(will harvest them any day now as the beetle and age has weired them) right beside tomato's. once the potato has gone then there is nothing else for them but to go into hibernation around here i guess.

be carefull applying high nitrogen fertilisers we use no fertilisers reckoning too easy to o/d the plants on nitrogen, yeh they look nice and green but the bugs are also more attracted to them like a lolly. all the time you have had your saga these potato plants have been getting attacked by the dreaded beetle, been a couple or so months now and it is only now they are realy looking ragged, the amount of bugs hasn't exploded. mulch heavily with green mulches feed the kitchen scraps and spent vege' plants back into the garden beds where the composting worms should be.

of the school that if your medium is fed and healthy then all the plants will be healthy naturally and in that state they will not be so attractive to bugs, keep in mind all applications for control of any bug are non-specific even home made ones, they will affect the good bugs as well. i think fukuoka said "feed the soil and the plants will feed you" works.

a good reason to grow potato's through winter no bugs to worry about.

len

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Just a bit more on the 17-28spot beetle [I wonder if it was a 17spot beetle until metric??].

I find if they are building up in numbers that you can spray with pyrethrum but try and sneak up. As soon as you touch a plant most drop straight to the ground and what may appear to be one or two could be dozens. Also I spray either very early or very late in the evening as the beetles are a bit slower and the predators arent around yet.

Dunno about temperate areas but here in the Tropics it would seem that any beetle damage is a precursor to fungal attacks so I am always on the lookout for them. It doesnt take much apparent damage to severly debilitate plants. It is worth remembering too which varieties within a family are attacked first. I have given up trying to grow gherkin type cucumbers for this reason. Maybe I should get some more seeds and use them as a sacrifice crop.

cheers,

ho-hum

6. Ruthie

Ruthie Junior Member

Hi Potato Growers

I have grown some great potatoes for the first time ever and am so excited. Also growing fantastic lettuce. I bought a box of potatoes from the nursery and planted them, but some shop potatoes started shooting in my kitchen so I chopped them up and planted them as well. I have lots of orange ladybeetles too which I have read are good to have around? One shop potato was rotten and had some sort of caterpillar or larvae in it, which I fed to the chooks.

7. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:

Welcome to the forum Ruthie.

Shop potatoes work fine ( I get them from the local organic shop) but remember there is a risk they could bring a disease and that ground will be buggered for growing spuds for some time.
    The lady bugs in the posts are the 28 spot (count them) and they are not good for potatoes or many other crops.

Congratulations on your success and I hope it can continue from a long time to come.
    regards

8. pmorrison2588

pmorrison2588 Junior Member

This could also be due to severe mineral deficiency of the pant. It is called necrosis. To avoid this, you will have to pour organic fertilizers in the soil. also check for the bugs to be sure.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I managed to slow down the damage at my place from the spotted lady beetle, but not stop it entirely, and the first group of spuds I planted were on their last legs, so I pulled them out today. I planted Kipfler and Purple Congo. The purples gave by far the best yield. Many of them were still tiny but there was a good crop overall.

My first ever potato harvest. I feel so proud....

10. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:

The Purple Congos have got me a bit excited Eco - where can I get a kilo of them I wonder?

Well done

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You mean other than by popping up and visiting me?

I don't know - I got them from the local organic fruit and vege shop, who got them from the markets in Brissie.

I can't wait to make purple leek and potato soup with them.

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

An oldie but a goodie...