Plants for hot or windy balcony gardens?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by cecilia, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cecilia

cecilia Junior Member

I'm hoping there are people out there who can recommend
    Multi-useful plants for windy balconies
    Multi-useful plants for hot balconies

It would be great if you could give me some names of varieties, stories of your experiance growing them, and what it is about them that lets them thrive.
    I have found fig trees, passionfruit, to be good. I'd love to know a variety of bamboo that would work, or other screening plant.

Of course, useful can mean food producing, or simply beatiful fragrance, flowers, windbreak, visual screen, or other.

If you have an image I could upload to my balcony blog and credit to you, that would be fantastic.
    https://www.balconyofdreams.blogspot.com
    [email protected]

2. Loris

Loris Junior Member

I was going to suggest aloe vera or other decorative aloes and also the old happy plants might be OK.

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Yeah, succulents would be good. Depends on the size and type of plant you want. As far as potted shrubs go, i find the thicker and shinier the leaf the more tolerant to the wind.

Look around your local area and take notice of plants growing in wind pockets, or near the ocean.

4. cecilia

cecilia Junior Member

blazing sun, wind, but plenty of water. Reccomendations?

I forgot to mention, I don't need drought-tolerant plants, as I always have an automatic watering system for my balcony gardens, so that gives a whole new dimention to what can be grown.
    I also forgot to say that I'm looking for things that would suit Melbourne. I would love a lotus paddy on the balcony, but it just doesn't get consistently hot enough down here.

I'm just not into cactus, which is great - let other people grow them. I've lived a long time without aloe vera, and have learnt not to get sunburnt, so I cant see a use for it for me.
    But... I remember enjoying aloe vera sashimi in Japan, peeled, sliced, and served with wasabi and soy sauce. Maybe I should give this agressive-looking plant it another go. ...No, I think I will ask someone else, someone without a watering system, to grow it for me, and do a trade. I really need things to look lush, to get the motivation to keep it all maintained.

I wonder if taro would be good? And I really need to know if there is a bamboo that would survive and function as a windbreak. Something that wouldn't sunburn. Id love some more suggestions.

5. ppp

ppp Junior Member

as you've said, bamboo..
    it could be used to shelter other plants from wind and rain plus perhaps you could harvest for bamboo shoots?
    With a sheltered zone, could you then grow whatever you like? - vegies flowers, you name it.
    With no drying-out problem and some shelter from bamboo grown in a few large pots, I think you could have an awesome little garden.

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Crikey....just how big is this balcony.
    Dont forget some trellis to use your vertical space too and some of those neat grow bags for tomatoes where they grow out of the bottom of the bag hanging from the ceiling.
    Cathy

7. philbobaggins

philbobaggins Junior Member

Yuzu is good with sushi, and it will be happy in wind.
    Gekkabijin is a cactus but the buds are quite a delicacy, and as you know the flowers are pure inspiration. They don`t seem to mind wind either.
    Sasa bamboos seem to take to coastline hills well. I`d like to know how to get rid of some on our windy hillside.
    I will be experimenting with Goya on a windy rooftop this spring.
    We could come up with an important list, for sure...

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Sage, lavender and most Mediterranean herbs

9. FREEMAN

FREEMAN Junior Member

I've grown bamboo in large terracotta pots for a few years now and in my experience it is best suited to moist sheltered areas.

In hot windy conditions it dries out quickly drops leaves and requires a lot of water.

Regards,

10. cecilia

cecilia Junior Member

Re: Plants for hot or windy balcony gardens?

Thanks for all this good input everyone. I was really hoping someone would come up with a list of 10 Tried and Tested plants, and their usefulness.

looking forward to more suggestions, so I can let the voice of experiance, not fable, guide my balcony garden students.

Ive attached a pic of how my balcony garden once looked.
    For more go to
    https://www.balconyofdreams.blogspot.com
    Cecilia