Planning to cross the line soon!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by permacultureapprentice, Nov 27, 2014.

1. permacultureapprentice

permacultureapprentice Junior Member

Hello Guys. The new guy here!

I've been into permaculture, regenerative agriculture, resilience and self reliance for some time.

I decided to abandon my career as a geologist after I've witnessed the scope of destruction inflicted on the earth in the name of growth. 2 years fast forward, now I'm currently working for Melbourne CBD council doing construction and infrastructure works. I changed the profession but still my soul shatters at the amount of resources we pull every day in the name of neverending growth.

I'm well aware that this current economic model is unsustainable and that humans just as cancer in the body, will continue to use the resources and grow until it's too late for patient to recover. There is a sense of urgency in my mind to change something in my life.

That's why my wife and I are saving 50% our income. We already have a farm back in Croatia and need some startup capital to get things off the ground. In a year we will make a transition to the farm. I learn every day and read a lot of books, blogs, listen to podcasts and make plans.

The current plan is:

• save 50000$ in 2 years (half way there)
    • go to courses and workshops, find mentors
    • year 1 on the farm - focus on improving soil and observing, starting a nursery
    • year 2 - basic infrastructure works for water and access, planting trees
    • year 3 - early cash flow and starting a business (annuals, quick yielding perennials, raising animals, nursery business)

So there you have it. This is the direction we're headed. The more I research this stuff and learn about opportunities, the more I feel positive about outlook of my life.

There is only one thing missing.... I have to start and make the jump into farming!

William

2. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Junior Member

Hi!

That sounds like a great plan :) how big is the farm? Can I ask what podcasts you listen to and blogs you follow? I'm still in the improving soil and observing stage too, as well as planning out some water catchments and making better use of our grey water.

3. permacultureapprentice

Hello Gabrielle!

THe farm is small but big enough, at least 10 acres.

Podcasts:

Paul wheaton homesteading podcast
    Agroinovations podcast
    Permaculture podcast with scott mann
    Sustainable world radio
    Permaculture voices
    Survival podcast

Blogs:

Milkwood Permaculture
    PRI
    TCpermaculture
    Verge permaculture
    Resilience
    Earth Easy
    Mother Earth News
    Peak Prosperity

Great to hear that you are doing it! At least you are in stage 2.....:)

Do you have a off farm income (job) or you are able to sustain yourself from the farm?

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I love Kirsten from Milkwood - she writes beautifully and her photos are fabulous. Hopefully you'll have your own blog to add to the experience one day.

5. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Junior Member

Wow thanks heaps what a great starting point!

No income off our land yet unfortunately I think that is still a few years away, nothing is really able to grow on our block at the moment because of the condition of the soil, so the next 12 months the focus will be purely on that, then we can look at planting and animals. we do have 9 established bowen mango trees on the property right on the border that I was hoping to make some income off this year but being so dry and them not receiving any tlc from previous owners we haven't had a good crop this summer.

Our block is only 1 acre so minus the area lost for our house, water tanks, daughters play area, probably 3/4 ish to play with. so while I'm improving the soil will be putting a lot of planning into place to make sure I can get the most out of the space we have!

Your journey sounds very interesting I agree with eco 4560 I think it would make a great blog :)

6. permacultureapprentice

Yes Garbrielle you will have enough space for modeling SPIN farming for maybe some income from the farm.

or what Eric Tonemeister is doing on 1/10 acre - suburban backyard and have a food forest and a nursery.

You could start a nursery straight away tomorrow and have plants ready for next year too.

7. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  8. permacultureapprentice

Bill, any other suggestions?

9. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Heh, don't get me started!
    One of my favorite reference sites (even though I don't live in a temperate climate) is https://tcpermaculture.com/site/
    Lots of good articles and a growing, detailed plant index.

10. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

I love Kirsten from Milkwood too :)

11. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Eww. Get a sustainably-designed and built room.

12. Rodney7777

Rodney7777 Junior Member

Hi William

I enjoyed reading about your plans.

I have my PC certificate, and like you I have a lot to learn.

Currently, everyday, I am visiting www.singfrogsfarm.com I am reading their posting about their pc practices and they also have some great links. I highly recommend their site. They are gardening and build soil at the same time without fertilizer, pesticides, or herbicides. I learned from them that 17% of the CO2 in the air comes from soil that is exposed to the sun. They never till and replant after harvesting on the same day.

Best of luck. Rodney7777