Pivotal Moments

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sab, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sab

sab Junior Member

Christopher mentioned a pivotal moment in his life when living in New York seemed (i can't find the word) ... bleak.

At what point did people realize that our civilization was going down the tubes?

For me it began during a holiday with my family to Kangaroo Island when I was 14. It was idyllic. When I was 16 I shared the idea with my sister (who was 31 and living in Katharine) She got hooked and got a hold of "Self-Sufficiency" by John and Sally Seymour. I loved that book.

The realization that our civilization was really ugly hit me on my 17th birthday - coming down off mushrooms. Just looking at the skyline with telegraph poles and electric wires, concrete everywhere ... I thought we're doomed...

I've lived in Manila for 19 years - a city that embodies everything that's wrong with this civilization but next year Tassie. Hopefully to stay in one place long enough to harvest what I plant.

2. Jet

Jet Junior Member

For me I've never really had a pivotal moment as such. It's just always been there, I remember having nightmares when I was six or seven about the world ending and I wrote a poem when I was about eleven about watching the world slowly dying and no one taking any notice until it's too late. :? I was a very deep child :wink:
    I was always the kid outside making friends with the animals.
    I have no idea where all of this comes from, it's just a part of who I am.

I have a small scale pivotal moment every time I drive back to see my family and see the concrete jungles rapid growth. It's like a cancer. All those huge houses packed in like sardines with not a tree to be seen, it tears my heart out. How can they not see the uglyness. I can't understand why anyone would want to live like that?
    It takes all kind's I guess.
    Just plant a tree or two for god sake!!! :evil:

3. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

pivotal moments

Hey Christopher, when you're reading this post.
    That post of yours the other day, about being a young kid in NY and your upbringing – your journey to where you are now. Wow. I didn't reply, but I did think about it. Thanks.

4. sab

sab Junior Member

Wow. I can really relate to this. I grew up in the Adelaide foothills and it was idyllic. Two creeks in the garden, no neighbours in sight. My dad was an animal fanatic. When I got older I was so distressed that no one was taking any notice of what was happening to the planet.

I thought about the air. It stinks here but after two days you don't notice it. But after breathing in Aus the first thing that hits you here is the smell. People are so immersed in consumerism they don't even notice.

5. Words

Words Guest

tears of lament

the pungent smell of man's urgency
    the ritual of destruction
    the paleness of his fleeting life
    tip toes around the tree
    careful not to wake the anger sleeping there
    rushing to beat the drowning sun
    he submerges himself into the womb of his timid existence
    embraced by all false hopes he holds dear
    locked away behind imaginary shields of metal and wood
    he feeds on despair
    trusting idols
    putting his faith in things that keep him destitute
    and calling it life
    while outside his fragile gate anger lurks
    earth's impetus
    compelled by time
    has little care for insecure aliens
    she reaches out to touch all
    there is no hiding from designed fate
    she will not hear your cries for leniency
    nor be moved by tears
    the story you have written
    atrocious from the start
    reeks of malice
    and for that you will be consumed
    blended forever with that which you have neglected for so long
    may the earth hold you to her breast
    allowing your senses to grow
    nurture them
    for you will have no second chance
    life is nothing but a work in progress

6. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Another pivotal moment was being in Iowa, at a friend of a friends farm in transit between east and west coast, I must have been 17, and they had this great orchard of peaches and apricots, apples, raspberries, tomatoes, chickens (not chooks in Iowa :lol: ) and I thought, hey, these people have got ot figured out...

And my childhood wasn't bad. I had great friends, and the city was an adventure. I liked it, and even if it sounds bleak now, at the time it was great. Plus, living on my own at a young age for periods was good. Hitchhiking to California between 10th and 11th grade was a way out of the city, and I left for college with a year and a half left of highschool. So I got out a bit.

My roommate at Antioch College was from Brooklyn, but his folks were from Belize, and on his suggestion, when dropping out of college mid 2nd year to go to Belize for the winter was a good idea. Worked out okay, and I suppose botching college was also pivotal, in a blunt and terminally myopic and unrestrained away (free from all parental oversite, I majored in joint rolling with a minor in bra removal...), but going into winter quarter in Ohio, unknown tropical Belize sounded better than cold, wet, freezing Ohio, or crowded slushy grey NYC, so... 1985, left for Belize.

I took a PDC in 1992, which was also pivotal and in terms of pivotal moments may be the best spent two weeks since I came to Belize.

So lots of small pivots, and a few major pivots. Here I am... its mostly good.

7. bjgnome

bjgnome Junior Member

Ha, Ha, ha, ha! :lol: Fellow Antioch dropout here. I entered in 1992, I think. I made it only one full year, before heading off to learn shamanism, breathwork, energy healing, massage, etc., how I make my living now.

One pivotal event was one january around 1990 or so, when I found myself wearing shorts in January in New York. We played frisbee on the high schol lawn, instead of chucking snowballs at each other as we should have. It was just painfully obvious back then that something was very, very wrong.

Jonathan

8. christopher

Jonathon,

"Be ashamed to Die Until You have Won a Small Victory for Humanity", Horace Mann, 1789-1859
    First President of Antioch College, in Yellow Springs, Ohio

What was your leave of studies, Permanent Co-op, (heee, heee, heee :lol: ) ?

I lved Antioch, but the world is such a nice place, and I couldn't stand still. I went too young. Am glad for the experience, tho, and it, too, was pivotal.

C

Oh, BTW, we have two coop students from Antioch here now! I love Yellow Springs! I am very happy to hear from you on this! Thank you! :lol: You just made my day!

9. christopher

Jonathon,

You from New Yawk, too? Hey, geddoudaheah! No f**king way!

What high school d'ja go to?

Another of the Great Antiochian diaspora....

C

10. bjgnome

bjgnome Junior Member

Cristopher,

I grew up and went to high school in Mamaroneck, north of the city. This weekend I will be meeting up with my former roommate from Antioch, Adam Newman, who actually stuck it out and graduated. Yes, I went on permanent co-op.

At Antioch I had my first experience shoveling horse shit in the organic garden...I'm just trying to keep somewhat on topic... Yellow Springs, yes great town, the Glen was otherworldly. Now they are having permaculture courses there, as I'm sure you've heard from your co-op students... and I think designing an ecovillage of some sort. Love to visit again... I actually am feeling nostalgic right now.

Glad to make your day, and thanks for the Horace Mann quote.

Jonathan

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Not sure where my pivotol point was maybe it was there from day one..
    Or it could of happened sublimely via the tele..Woke up one day with this incredible urge to go out into garden,recycle vegie scraps into the ground.I did this for a few months burrying bits everywhere in the garden.I was then hit with, why dont i plant something with these scraps etc.I did this Was 1988.
    I started planting vegies,seeds,punnets etc and going crazy in the garden..I hated gardening up to that point,So came as a huge surprise to my wife,especially when i wanted to expand my area.I even initiated a green waste recycling system thru the shire.Well Not I personally I wasnt strong enough in my thoughts.Eventually wrote a letter to shire explaining my idea.
    They told me to find a heap of signitures to a petition for recycling..Well that was not my scene,Iwas lost for courage to take further..Coincedently someone else started off the same idea less then 6 months later.And able to get tonnes of mulch free.they mulched it at the tip and left in a pile.People came and helped em selves.They still do it today,and were pioneers of green recycling. in west oz..Good on em 8)

Then one nite was watching tele and some old guy(Bill) was disscussing
    about this Permaculture stuff,and it was so easy it could be started just by recycling food scraps in a hole in the ground and sowing a vegie seed..

I was stunned big time,trying to work out how i was doing this strange behaviour,without really knowing what i was doing,and heres this old guy(bill) showing how to do it on tv.........watching this program reminded me that this old guy looked familier.then saw that it was the same old guy id fallen asleep months earlier watching tv going on about Permaculture
    didnt know jack poop about it at all,but here was this guy suggesting to people what id been doing for a few months,I was like a stunned mullet..

Suffice to say that from that moment i was a "Born Again Greenie",
    and have been proud to call myself that ever since....

Self Realisation is a truely wonderfull happening.Its Powerfull,compelling,
    energising. "I had truely seen the light"........

I went Burko looking everywhere to find who this old guy was etc etc.Rang people etc then saw he was actually comming to Perth to teach at Uni.
    well i went,and he was brillient.met him shook hands etc.listend for 3 odd hours,floated home and havent been the same since.I bought his videos.both of em......You people who aint seen both his vids are truly missing something in your lives.....For those that have seen the global gardener....i just LoVE the segment about davis california.and been wanting it ever since.....Ill tell you all something.....Bill Mollison.is one of the most important people this planet ever gave birth too.Hes a Legend..

does that clarify my feelings enough??????/

I was blessed twice hearing him talking, once was about eco villages 8)
    the other was Alternative financing.Im still hooked on both subjects.
    and wish more posts were regarding these subjects....

Its funny i went to hear bill, wanting to know how to grow vegies,and came home both time converted to his other ideas.I soon learnt that Permaculture was a lot more then growing vegies!!!!!!!!

Its time I dusted of my videos and watched them both again

Go Billy Go Billy Go Billy Go Billy

Tezza

12. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I did a couple of cources with Jade Woodhouse on the sunshine coast, and I have never looked back. that was about a year or so ago.

13. christopher

Bazman, Jet, Tezza, Words and Heuristics, forgive the slight hijack here:

a joke for Jonathan:

Q: How many Antioch Students does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. Antioch students don't change anything....

Taught to me by Yohan, Antioch student from France, in his 4th year.

Okay, Bazman, Jet, Tezza, Words and Heuristics, Antioch College was the first US college to admit women to the same curriculum as men (Oberlin, also in Ohio, admitted women a bit earlier, but seperate curriculum. My high school sweety went on to Oberlin... its a harder school to get into... well endowed ). Antioch has always been a very liberal school, and when I was there, the last of the Antioch College, Boot Camp for the Revolution gafitti from the 60s and 70s was removed from South hall (vandalized by pretty silly student protests in "72, and closed for many years. It has produced many people who have gone on to do good things, so this joke is supposed to be funny... ... ... ... you can have the thread back now :oops: