Pinerivers Pemaculture has one member

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by John Marshall, Apr 17, 2006.

1. John Marshall

John Marshall Junior Member

It's near Petrie, and is in the Old Petrie Town park on Dayboro Rd

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi John

I had a look over the site on Wed(26th), and ended up having a nice chat to Jill, she and a few others are coming over to my gardens for a look around tomorrow morning.

It's a nice site with a bit of room to expand (if needed) sounds like having good support like this will concrete this community garden in ..... compost :) I'll help out where I can.

Having all those buildings is a good thing for sure, the only stand out problems I could see were water supply and being exposed to the west, the site is mainly flat with a drop off SW, roughly. Getting a good over head plan would be great and make life easier but if worst comes to worst I can get my hands on a manual lazer level and we could measure up the site with contours etc.

The chook dome is great, might be worth adding something else in with them, something edible :) heh.

I hope to catch up soon John

Regards Barry.

P.S. Nice drawing of the site.

3. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Hi,

If you're still thinking about forming a group you could approach permaculture Noosa to auspice the new group? They did it for the Maroochy PC group to get them officially started.

I can PM the Noosa president's details to anyone who wants to talk to him about it.

Cheers,
    Sonya

4. ppp

ppp Junior Member

could you try the council for a topo plan? I know Brisbane City Council has easy access to topo (1m contours i think) over their full area. (if it was in BCC, I could probably get you a plan)

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All

I invited Jill and some others over to my gardens to have a look around and also check on what stock I have to offer. It was an interesting few hours as Jill brought a group of her intellectually handicapped clients with her which I most enjoyed the company of and I'm pretty sure they love the outing, the young lad who dressed in his cowboy gear made me smile as he loved patting our horses. Jill seems to be right behind the project which will work with that type of support.

John I would like to catch up and talk about design and how I can help.

Regards

Baz

6. John Marshall

7. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I have not forgotten to dig up those links John, just busy with work, back full time ahhhh, gotta pay for all that bobcat work somehow. I will have some time over easter to do up the plan, during the week it's hard to spend all day doing art and to keep going at night, but it is high on the list, I think we should also share the planning process here too.

8. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Got a good day and a half into the gardens this weekend, nuked the aviary today and moved a heap of old and roting timber, I'm pretty sure it's all cca treated so getting rid of it off site is my strong recommendation, CCA treated timber does not belong in anyone's food growing area's.

I moved the worm farm bath tub into a shaded area close to the aviary as they would have cooked in that spot, it's fully set up now and full of transplanted worms from my place.

I added in some perches and hung the feed bin and added a new watering system for the new chook's, I also added a heap of dolomite to the area in case the soil is not in balance.

Jill has added(placed) a heap of native trees to the area, I think it's a little early to be adding what could be possible large native trees when a site plan is still in development, I understand Jill is really keen to see things happening so getting a site plan and planting list finished should be high on our list, as well as a todo list, now is not a good time to plant trees as we are coming into our dry seasons, the best time around here is towards the end of winter.

I've started to convert a plan John has given me and once we get some designs on the go I will post them up here to share.

9. John Marshall

Re: Pinerivers Pemaculture has one member

We have a work gang at the gardens every saturday now, so if anyone in the area is interested please stop past. Even your moral support is appreciated. My camera is getting fixed at the moment so I have no photos to post but we are making progress and the site is starting to take shape, so get your asses down there and have a stikybeak :axe:

10. John Marshall

I have my camera back and have pictures, also if the word asses offended anyone I am sorry it was not my intention. A huge belated thank you to Barry for ravishing the avery and moving the 5 tonn cast iron wormfarm to a better spot, and for adding the worms. The chooks have started laying and the convicts have started clearing the exces mulch for the wheelchair path. we are having a working bee on the 10th of may with the help of the lions clubs and their trailers to take away the rubbish we dont have the luxury to process. Multicap is having an openday in July and hope to have the garden looking nice by then. I have spoken to the horticulture blokes at caboolture and Leo is putting together a heap of food plants for us from their nursery, and with the council mashup we are now also able to raid the nursery at the creec center (Caboolture Regional environmental education centre). With the path being marked out we now also have the edges of the first few garden beds to start filling up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All

I have been playing with an idea of lots of thin garden beds which will give lots of edge and on the long side be raised up so those in wheel chairs can reach the beds without bending over to much. I was thinking the centre area's of each garden pedal be raised up using pinned logs and the edge run down close to the ground. A large herb spiral will greet visitors to the garden.

I'll post more when I can it done.

No Scale as yet, but most of the garden beds will be a metre or so wide.

12. John Marshall

This is the plan for the path we are working from, it is soo wide because it needs to be near 2 meters to be fully whellchar friendly. The path runs hard up against the buildings to move the garden beds away from our termite ravaged structures. I have tried to keep the paths on contour where possible, and use them for water harvesting for the lower slope and a low rock and boulder retaining wall upslope. This will allow us to build up the soil which is a thin viel over rock and clay in the main area. The animal pens are full of rich black soil, but the rest of the area was used for cow and horse. This plan is for the wheelchair path only and will be built in three stages, with the fist part running along the edge of the building, this will let us use the lower gate for ute loads to be driven where we need them for as long as possible. Other non wheelchair paths will weave where we want them. The contour lines are only roughly drawn in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi John

Looking over the plan, you have lots of brick path building and laying of rock to do, something to think about to having rock close to the path will also be habitat for snakes, having soft edges will make for easier upkeep and you can plant right up to the path edge.

I have heard about swales built under the path in stone or rough gravel which you could do under the layed path, that way you don't waste planting area as your paths are so wide.

I think it's worth while hooking up into the gate which looks down on the pottery club, the Sunday morning I worked down there had most people coming to see the area from that direction, some also came from above the aviary. Maybe you could hook a path into it.

I think if this is the plan to follow you need to mark it all up and start to fill these areas, at the moment you have the centre area as a large box garden, I think it's worth moving this into the right position early before all that organic matter breaks down to compost and gains a lot of weight. (hard work moving) I have found using branches and logs great to mark out path flow and is positive to see those areas filling up over time.

I'll see how I go with time on Sat. I'll try and drop over, I'm pretty busy here as I have entered the Morton bay, Hays Inlet gardening comp.

Baz

14. John Marshall

There is a little gathering at the garden tomorrow at 11 am, just a couple of us having a poke around, short notice I know show up if you feel like it.

15. John Marshall

We had a good first club day at the garden today, Michele suggested I paint a sign at the garden as she had trouble finding the place, Lucy cleared up a conflict in Lady bug identification, Norman used his sledge hammer on a lump of old concrete to show us how easy it will be to remove completely, Frederick showed me a safer and easier way to finish the spider web trellis over what will be a mosaic, Lyndell donated a heap of old pottery from her shed and recomended a nice white wine, and Jill roamed the park gathering support and freebies .We also marked out where the large box garden in the center area will be converted from a square to circle. The children chased the chooks and we answered lots of questions from the people who stoped past for a sticky beak from the markets, the next club day will be in July and I may even remember to post in here with a decent amount of notice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. John Marshall

Bump

17. spiraleddie

spiraleddie Junior Member

Hi I live in lawnton and i would like to come along to one of your meetings if thats ok, I cant seem to be able to PM you so if you could PM me the next meeting details that would be great. cheers

18. John Marshall

I am not rostered on again until 1/8, there is someone there every Saturday supervising the community service blokes, and start at 10.30am till they finish what we want done or we get sick of the sight of them. Carol is there most Tuesdays with her handy capped clients. I also go there sometimes on Sundays if I don't have anything else on. I will post some photos on here some time this week. I am eternally grateful for all the support, help and advice this project has received. I will make an effort to post updates more often. :axe:

19. spiraleddie

spiraleddie Junior Member

Hi John,
    i have access to a number of 200L plastic drums open and closed top, is this something you can make use of? i will need some help in ntrasporting them if you want some. Also hace access to bags of recycled cardboard. If you are interested email me pls on [email protected] soon. I met you last week at the pottery hall if you need a reminder of who i am. PS i was there today (sat) at about 10am but no one was there, i might drop in on Sunday.

20. John Marshall

Yes I remember I have your e-mail, I'm sure we can find a use for the drums, and the card board as well, I will be at the pottery barn again tomorrow drop past if you have time and we can work some time out to move the drums. I'm not sure who was rostered on today, the convicts usually show up from 10.30 onward. and they go home if the supervisor doesn't show up or is late, sorry about the stuff around.