1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

one of my nearby villages Deepwater is throwing open to community consultation ; a beautification project ; dangerous i know.
    Last time they decided to plant Wallangarra white gums in the main street
    im wondering if we could do a basic plan here
    part of the background is the council wants to mow less and move the grey nomads away from apex park
    Im sugesting somthing like the Dunkeld arberoutum with maybe some food plants in the public spaces that were8) previously mown lovegrass

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Not familiar with the arboretum but using a permaculture eye to what the problems are and the solutions might be would be a really fascinating design project at this scale. Less grass and more love!

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Andy

It's no secret that I love Deepwater (and the wider Glen Innes-Severn local government area), so here's my contribution:

1) Do you have a link to the Deepwater Beautification Master Plan? I searched for it, but all I came up with was:

2) The Deepwater Progress Association Submission (petition with 150-plus signatories) to the Plan - which in itself makes for interesting reading. Do you know any of these folks? Maybe you could get some of them on board with your ideas/plans?

3) The latest (2010) GI-S Council Land Use Strategy - in particular checkout p. 15 and roughly align your ideas with these objectives

And, most importantly

4) The (2011) GI-S Community Plan - Make sure you roughly align your goals with those of 'the community' (better still, contact them and get them on board), and you can't fail

Finally, if you find a copy of the 'Master Plan', I'd love to have a look at it

Let me know if I can be of any further help, Markos

4. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

thanks Marcos
    there is a pretty good element that may be able to be mobilized
    bit mindboggling ; the leval of beaurocracy

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

The trick is not to try and fight it, but instead find ways of working with it. One of the best ways of doing this - as you have so rightly pointed out - is to find like-minded individuals/groups within the structure (i.e. people working within the 'beast' - aka Council; local people with an expressed interest - aka 'champions', etc.) and together plan for the most effective form of action to destabilise the status quo, all the time working towards the ultimate goal of replacing it with the preferred agenda. Most times this works out to be a painfully slow process. But you know what Holmgren says: Principle 9: Use Small and Slow Solutions - The bigger they are the harder they fall; Slow and steady wins the race ... Or, as yardboidoroony sings:

[video=youtube;f098VsIIUTk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f098VsIIUTk[/video]

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Sweet tunes