PIL as our professional association?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Fern O., Feb 25, 2006.

1. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

I really feel that permaculture designers need a professional association, to help raise the profile of permaculture designers & help with their inclusion & recognition of the importance of being consulted with in the planning process of communities & developments. Also to look after the acquirement of Professional Indemnity Insurance (package deals) for permaculture designers.

I feel a creation of a professional association is incredibly important, especially since the development of the Nationally accredited permaculture training & introduction within the TAFE systems.

Is it possible that PIL (Permaculture International) becomes our professional association, and can leave the statewide organisations like Permaculture Melbourne Inc., PASA, PAWA & PAT to look after their local bioregional groups and ordinary membership.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make it to the PIL AGM on March 9th in Adelaide, but if possible could this issue to be raised?

I am posting this on the Permaculture-Oceania listserve & on the forum at https://www.permaculture.org.au for open discussion before the AGM.

Kind regards,

Fern Ockerby
    Permaculture Melbourne Inc.
    President

Southwest Victoria Permaculture Network
    Co-ordinator

Otways & Coast permaculture group
    Facilitator

OTWAY COAST PERMACULTURE & NATURAL HEALTH
    Managing director & designer

2. ecoresources

ecoresources Junior Member

PIL as professional assoc

I think this is a very good idea. I'm going through the insurance process at the moment ($2500 per annum for Public Liability and Professional Indemnity) and think there is a lot of scope for us all to save here. Or is everyone just winging it without ins?

I will be going to the meeting and will raise it as a topic if needed.

cya

Mark Moody

3. ecoresources

ecoresources Junior Member

Gaia U in Australia (as our Prof Assoc) by Andy Langford

Forwarded by Mark for Andy (Also posted in Gaia U in Australia)

Hi folks - I am responding to the discussions about professional bodies and global organisation. These two could well be linked - why not try for a global professional accreditation system and a single global professional body? You may not know this but the Gaia U accreditation system, via IMCA Socrates® is, first and foremost a professional accreditation system. First a person earns membership of the profession, by examination (well, by portfolio and evaluation of outputs actually). Then IMCA (International Management Centres Association) who are our accreditors, uploads the credits to Revans University (which they sponsor) and the professional qualification (Associate, Member, Fellow) is converted to a Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degree respectively.

This accreditation has the rare quality of international status as it is backed up by the British Council which promotes international education standards rather than country based ones.

Liora Adler and I are working up this Gaia U project here in the volcanic mountains of Mexico - there are embryonic plans to bring our Circus to Australia in January 2007 - our convener for this in Australia is Mark Moody .

As we have been engaged in this whole accreditation deal (which is very complicated indeed - 16 institutional accreditation agencies alone in the USA with 60 additional program accreditors at higher ed levels) we have come to see that localised accreditation is anachronistic, from the old industrial age and possibly before - you know the horror stories - a practitioner, well qualified at home can't practice in another country because their accreditation is not recognised.

We are just watching the Bologna Accord, which seeks to unify accreditation just in Europe creaking into action - it's been 10 years in discussion and now it is estimated that it will cost 3.5 million € for each and every European University to update its country based approach and go international.

Well, in my view, we need to NOT go down this dusty old road and start up dozens of country (or even as is sometimes the case in the USA - state based) accreditations. Lets get information age and go global from the outset.

What do you think? It is already set up and ready to go more or less.
    ===============
    Andy Langford,
    Founder, Gaia University
    International Reference Person Permaculture Diploma WorkNet
    Council Member, Global Ecovillage Network - Europe

4. Mozzie

Mozzie Junior Member

No thanks.

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Sounds a great idea from here Would love to hear a bit more info though

let me know