Pigeon Pea

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ~Tullymoor~, Oct 13, 2005.

1. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

Tully I am growing pidgeon peas here in sth Oz and though slow over winter (with frosts) they are still growing and now have pods on them. The flowers are attractive too :D
    Pete

2. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Thanks Len, missed your post while I was posting before. We didn't get any frosts here this winter ( lived here since May) and I think we are too windy and close to the sea for frost, I hope) How is your wife? Are you still having to travel to and fro etc??? Catch us up on what's happening, any bites on the property?

G'day Pete, thanks for that, I'm gonna give 'em a go I reckon, but will wait til it's a lot warmer. For example it was about 15 here today I think and 16 tomorrow...not exactly tropicana :D but it suits me down to the ground, I hate the heat.
    How is that drop dead gorgeous piece of red dirt of yours? What's the latest you've been doing out there?

3. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

Hi Tully
    the temps you have now workrd for me :)
    I planted in march so put em in :D
    Not done a lot lately been busy on other stuff but the gardens have been extended and doing well and just increased our chook population by another six and I am going to look for an incubator so I can breed my own (using a rooster for the odd ppl here :D )
    no snakes as yet tho I know they are there (big king browns) :shock: but the goannas are keeping them manageable. :D
    Pete

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Sorry. I think they either meant walnuts in the husk or BLACK walnuts.

Sue

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day tully,

the pigeon peas will be ok lots of things slow down in winter so do they. wife still has problems they are permanent in her health. we are in contractual negotiations :?: at present so may have a contract in the next few days. bev does the toing and froing as she is the only one out of us who is currently able to drive.

got some good rain 47mm on thursday night and a bit more last night.

len :?

6. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Tully,,

Goon Bag ? Darwin Suitcase ?? Wine in a box ??

I've always known the the old 4 litre of Stanley as a goon bag ..

7. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: silly Tully!!! I call that Chateau Cardboard :D

I'll need to find you a new Dan THE Man emoticon now, let's see.... :pirate: that's for your droopy eye, that you reckon was not a droopy eye lol in your original pic in the other thread. Dan THE Man will now be known as :pirate: The Pirate.

8. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I would love to hear that I am wrong and that Tully gets a bumper crop of pidgeon peas in central victoria. Heck, I've been wrong before. :lol:

9. beeso

beeso Junior Member

i can't remember from my course whether or not this is a myth but does soaking pigeon pea in hot water help sprout the pea?
    i am running a control experiment to test unsoaked, soaked with cold and soaked with hot.
    would love to know the conventional wisdom though

10. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

I don't know about soaking in hot water - the seeds grow where they fall around here. My pigeon peas grow slow in winter - we have frosts but the plants don't die. They grow fast in spring. Beautiful yellow and red pea flowers.

I eat the peas green straight off the bush or take them to work on branchlets to nibble for lunch. They have a peppery taste but are very yummy.

My dear old mum used to sit and shell the peas for dahl - she is dead now but she was so patient. She could untangle fishing lines too! I can't do things like that - bashing them with a stick sounds more my style - I'm an Aries.

My chooks have no trouble getting the peas out of the dry pods - once I shelled a few and gave them a taste they were right into them. Pigeon peas are great trees for bringing in the birds and bees and they green up an area very quickly.

The wood can be used for basket making etc. as well. Very versatile plant.

11. beeso

beeso Junior Member

i have my 3 groups no soak cold soak and hot soak. when i planted the seeds out today one of the hot ones had sprouted already...

12. Muddy

Muddy Junior Member

Here is another great feature of Pigeon Pea. The leaves are hairy on one side. If you live on a dirt road plant a couple of rows of PP between the road and your garden / living space. The hairy leaves do a wonderful job of collecting the dust from the traffic. Rain or watering cleans the leaves ready for the next round of dust.
    The cut off and deseeded foliage makes a great replacement for lucern in a Esther Dean style no-dig garden.

13. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Nice observation, Muddy.

14. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Richard,

I thought you changed your name to "Richard on Manoa"! Is that a next hawaiian Richard?

C

15. johnw

johnw Junior Member

pigeon pea

I've grown pigeon pea in nth western NSW and Centre western NSW and east of Melb Vic.
    I inoculated the seed (bought from a produce store, can't remember where!?)so as to encourage the nodes to grow on the roots to fix nitrogen.
    I grew them on clay/loam creek flats, sandy soils and loamy types as well.
    They died when frosts and sleet hit them but boy did they go berserk up until then. They fruited madly and produced bulk leaves etc............the chooks loved them.
    They provided a quick short term wind break plus shade for lettuce when the sun was to hot, comfrey went mental under them! I also grew heaps of other vegies under or around them and they all seemed to benefit
    I started them in late winter in a small make do glass house and planted them out in mid to late spring depending on the frosts etc.

The humble Pigeon Pea.......................................what cool Plant!
    cheers

16. han_ysic

han_ysic Junior Member

I would love to try growing some pidgeon pea. Does anyone have spare seed they can send me. (i am happy to send some other seed in trade - Christmas Lima bean/warrigal greens/rocket/?) Love the idea of growing my own dahl, and having the mulch, lucerne is way too expensive. I am in NSW. Can message address to whoever has seed.
    Hannah