Permie Plants in WA - An avaliabilty list of Edible and Medicinal plants

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by charlesinnaloo, May 27, 2010.

1. charlesinnaloo

charlesinnaloo Junior Member

I am hoping you are or know of people who might be growing hard to get edible/medicinal plants in WA, and while this is all a bit open and public :), I know you will be well aware of the difficulty of getting permaculture type plants in WA, hence this “outlandish” action :).

Thanks for taking the time to read through the post and please contact me (email at bottom) if you would like to view/discuss and/or add to this Western Australia collection. This should be a two way street and depending on the level of development of own garden/farm should be of as much help to you as it hopefully will be to the rest of us. However bear in mind this is not a commercial venture and plant availability/propagation will start out slowly. This wont replace the need for permaculture nurseries but given there are so few and they have limited stock and varieties we might even be able to help them later.

The plan is to gather and propagate these plants through links in Permaculture Association WA, and community gardens and motivated personal gardeners and to get these plants into schools gardens,
    Community gardens, organic Gardening groups and any other accessible gardening networks. Hence, I am developing links/membership/involvement in PAWA, Organic Growers Association, SGA, and Community Gardens Network which should help achieve this. It would also be great to be involved in a meaningful Plant Based linkup of plant, knowledge and people between these groups, and while this may already exist, they seem to all be separately trying to achieve the same aims and compete for members.

Given the endless amount one could grow/collect the focus will be on edible and medicinal plants (hence the Permaculture tone/theme). There is only so much that can be propagate and stored in an urban block and even a single farm, so more importantly I am trying to build up the list of plants and current growers (backyards, nurseries or community gardens) to allow us isolated/quarantine bashed folks in WA to get hold of these plants.

So far I have gathered a decent list, which is continually increasing as I build up contacts and locate seeds/plants, manage to germinate or propagate them. Next step is to locate other Permaculture folks and alternative gardeners, existing community gardens and either get them to add to the list and or I can visit grab their details, and/or plants and increase the varieties/plants in the list.

Between my place in Innaloo, mothers property in Pemberton, community gardens like Lockridge, City Farm, Crossroads etc and other interested/reliable/motivated folks I hope we can grow, propagate and make available these plants. The plants could be available for Permablitz's and other community projects to get the plants into as wider distribution as possible in some kind of trade or ongoing supply/availability agreement. Their availability/stock would then also the added to the list.

As I am sure you have already experienced, the more you look into these "rare" plants the harder they seem to be to get hold of as they dont set viable seed or other reasons. Also quarantine is very restrictive.

If you have the time could you let me know what your set-up is, what plants you have that fit the edible/medicinal badge (that might big a long task for you :)) and are not on the list, or maybe send me a copy of your own list (I am happy to merge to my list or visa versa)
    and if I could purchase any plant material or swap etc.

> Anywaywould love to hear from you and greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards, Charles Otway charlesotwayAThotmail.com (replace the AT with @ to email me)

2. matto

matto Junior Member

Hi Charles,
    Have you talked to Jeff Nugent from SARI in Nannup?
    Sustainable Agriculture Research Institute
    PO Box 10
    NANNUP
    WA 6275
    Australia

Our telephone contacts are:
    (08)97561271 or (08)97561014
    www.permacultureplants.net

3. charlesinnaloo

I sent Sari an email with much the same information a couple of days ago but am yet to hear back, given my email is a hotmail account it may have got spam blocked.
    Thanks for the message, I think I will give you folks a call tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Charles Otway

4. charlesinnaloo

Err is this a guessing game Matthew, while Comfrey is an attractive answer I have my money on Borage.

5. charlesinnaloo

Matto, Just thought I would let you know Jeff got back to me via email eventually hes in Broome apparently. I will try after September when he said he was heading back.
    Cheers.

6. robwolters_nl

robwolters_nl Junior Member

Hey Charles,

Excellent initiative. I'm orginally from WA, and moving back end of this year. I'd love to get on board and contribute.

Cheers,

Rob.

7. Tropical food forest

Tropical food forest Junior Member

well theres the city farm
    is that still going?

And fremantle community gardens?
    still open?

how about the small tree farm in balingup
    i got great trees from there
    https://www.smalltreefarm.com.au/How-to-find-us.html

Nindethana seeds

Eschcol springs seeds - agent for richters

Kimseed.com

Julie firths Nursery, great stuff
    https://www.permaculturenursery.com.au/

um...

frasers nusrey shut, that had good cacti
    as did the bagarrup bot garden near mandurah - unfortunately the guy got murdered. damn shame

theres a communty gardens or was somewhere near Subiaco too

i used to just hop on my pushy and go for a ride
    you find HEAPS just looking at peoples gardens
    and if you like just knock on the door or leave a note with your number
    works a treat