Permaulture book translation

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Justin JQ, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Justin JQ

Justin JQ Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to translate some permaculture book in to Chinese, so you have any suggestion on which book or materials should I do firstly?

many thanks

Justin JQ

2. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Do you have the legal right to translate a book? How about writing your own book?

3. Justin JQ

Justin JQ Junior Member

Write my own book..... it's too difficulty for me now. I am just a learner of permaculture now. I think having a Chinese version of permaculture book will help to spread it in china. in term of legal right, i think i need more information about it, I never translate a book before.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Maybe you could start with translating something easier like Bill Mollison's permaculture pamphlets. They are on the public domain for use so I think there wouldn't be the same restrictions on translating them as with a book. There is some information in the first one about translations, and who organised the project, maybe you could contact them.

https://www.permacultureproject.com/resources-2/bill-mollison-permaculture-pamphlets

5. deee

deee Junior Member

Can I suggest you try Rosemary Morrow's Earthusers Guide to Permaculture? Get in touch with Rowe and ask her if she would approve a translation. The book is very practical - its a PDC in a book (I use it as a text for PDCs). In fact, one of the first times I met Rowe she told me the story of an man in a developing country (I can't remember which) who worked his way through the Earthuser's Guide and permacultured his village because he didn't have a PDC available. Very inspiring.
    Danielle

6. Justin JQ

Justin JQ Junior Member

Thank you pebble, this is great! I can download it freely... and very good for a beginner like me. I think I should found a website and put the Chinese version on it to spread it.

thanks.

7. Justin JQ

Justin JQ Junior Member

Hi deee,
    It's a good book too, I found some information about it, seems this one is brief and practical. I will try to contact the author Rosemary, thank you so much for your suggestion.

Justin

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Justin

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

You may also like to contact David Holmgren in order to ask him if he would like the Essence of Permaculture translated. It already is in many languages other than English, but sadly not yet Chinese (Mandarin?).

Cheerio, Markos.

9. Justin JQ

Justin JQ Junior Member

Hi ecodharmamark

Thank you for your kind advice. David's book is one of the best textbooks, I downloaded a brief version Essence of Permaculture and reading it, it's a good book about principles and design. I will try to get connected to David Holmgren.

The problem in China now is that all these permaculture books are unavailable in any book store neither online book shop. and it's expensive to by abroad for me. So i am planing to do some translation of booklets and short materials first, and then try to get more help from the authers of books.

thank you!

10. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    When you get to Morrow's book, make sure you get the second edition, it is much more comprehensive.

I bet translating is a really good way to learn permaculture theory.

11. Shawburn

Shawburn Junior Member