Permaculturist looking to volunteer in western USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Janet, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet New Member

Hi all,

I'm Janet, 35 year old Irish woman. I left my job in a multinational pharma company almost two years ago & have been travelling (South and Central America) and learning about sustainable living/natural farming and permaculture since.
    Within the next couple of years I want to start my own project on a small holding in Europe...what will that look like? I am thinking a little wooden or cob house with an outdoor kitchen and shower, a compost toilet, chickens, bees, a food forest, and mushrooms....and see where I go from there.
    How do I get there? By learning from people already further along the path than me.

So far I have had some amazing volunteer experiences where I have learned about the lifestyle of basic living and confirmed to myself that I like it. I've got my hands dirty with planting, harvesting, digging, weeding, composting, chicken husbandry, vermiculture, cob construction, chopping wood, sanding and varnishing, lots of cooking, fermenting things & lots of other things.
    I want to get deep into permaculture right now & I want to learn this by doing, not by a course. In time I will do a course I am sure, just not right now. I listen to the permaculture podcast (Scott Mann) religiously and am continuously inspired by the enthusiasm and integrity of the guests he features. There is a sense of hope with people on the permaculture path that really resonates with me.

I want to find a project to work on before 22nd March, and am available for one month.

I'm on helpex and workaway but I haven't found the right place yet....your help, suggestions, contacts, leads would be really and truly appreciated.

2. matto

matto Junior Member

G'day Janet,

Great time to see permaculture in action, especially Europe. I would look on the main page, Permaculture News, and search for projects in Spain and Greece, where there is an urgent back to the land movement happening now :)

I hear good things about www.tamera.org

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  4. adiantum

adiantum Junior Member

Try looking through permies.com, which is American-based and includes a whole section on wwoofers and other opportunities....

5. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    wow! what a journey this must be! : ) have you been keeping a journal?

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Escaping big pharma is a major shift in focus! Welcome. Pop back once you've found a place and let us know how the adventure is progressing.