permaculture project tropical or temperate in China?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Lei Wu, May 16, 2009.

1. Lei Wu

Lei Wu Junior Member

Hi guys,

I have a question!

I live in northern China, in Shandong province. I've been trying to find a piece of land to start a permaculture project. Apparently, it will be convenient for me to start a project close to where I live now. But I've also been considering doing a project in a very southern and warm part of the country, because I assume it would be a lot cheaper to develop a site in a tropical location, and a lot quicker for it to become self-sustainable. At least in China, it seems that the lands in the warm south are generally a lot more fertile than in the north. I also believe that in order to make the winter months productive in the north, I will at least need to build some some extra heating facilities for homes, and greenhouses to grow food, otherwise, it would not be possible to work on the land, organize courses and workshops during the cold seasons. But all these problems would be non-issues if it was in a tropical location.

My knowledge about permaculture is still quite limited. I'm not sure if any of these concerns are justified at all, but I'd love if any of you could shed some lights on the pros and cons of developing a site in a tropical as opposed to a temperate region, especially in terms of cost and investment.

Thanks so much!!

Lei

2. Flying Binghi

Flying Binghi Junior Member

Re: permaculture project tropical or temperate in China?

Hmmm, as a compare, and as a starting point, how long have humans occupied the "tropical" and "temperate" areas of China ?

3. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

Re: permaculture project tropical or temperate in China?

G'day
    One of the main features of permaculture is to create a sustainble design that is appropriate to local conditions and climate. - to work with, not against, the prevailing climate and soil etc.
    Therefore a permaculture system could be designed for both temperature and tropical conditions depending on which one you decide to live in.
    It is possible to create 'microclimates' within a property, for example a greenhouse in a temperate area with prolong the growing season of some food plants.
    as for preference as to which climate - that is a personal decision - I prefer to live and garden in a dry temperature climate - but maybe that's just because that's where I've ended up!
    hope this is of some help
    cheers