Permaculture Project in the Andes of Peru

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Deborah Trujillo, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Deborah Trujillo

Deborah Trujillo New Member

Hi Folks. My husband, Michael, and I purchased 80 hectares on the side of a mountain in the Andes of Peru directly south of Machu Picchu 2 years ago. It is a remote area which until recently had no road access. We are striving to build adobe structures (one nearly complete), install a Pelton wheel for hydro-electric power (nearly complete), are growing vegetables heretofore unknown in Peru, and raising chickens for eggs and meat and goats for cheese production.

We invite anyone who would like to experience rural Andean culture and can assist with planning and working on this project to come stay with us. We can provide transportation to and from the airport in Cusco, food and a bed. We do have an indoor toilet (the only one for miles!) Water is from mountain springs- delicious. Food is mostly what we grow (potatoes, quinoa, vegetables) and some meat. Fish is available from the river at the foot of the property. Quail and deer are available for hunting. Condors and ferrets are regular visitors.

We cannot offer salaries at this time; we will be able to do so once we get our value-added products (unique fruits and vegetables, goat cheese, sauerkraut, kim chee etc.) into the market.

There is video of the land on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/laspuertasranch?feature=mhee#p/u

Thank you.

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

My partner, Celini and I, may be near Iquitos co-teaching a PDC in March. We have one other place we would like to see in Peru. Perhaps we can get to visit you? We have a ot of experience in tropical agroforestry/permaculture/renewable energy, and would love to visit your place. My email is [email protected]. Write me and maybe we can visit you either before or after our other engagements.

3. Coalescing

Coalescing New Member

Permaculture Novice in the Andes

I have traveled to Peru to assist a friend in the Peace Corps. I have dozens of permaculture books and videos and lots of experience with hard work, but no certificate yet. I am trying to educate and empower the local communities in the Colca Canyon with Permaculture Design in mind. I have several other areas of knowledge - music, nonviolent communication, community organizing- but I admit that in the Permaculture sector I am a little over my head. I would love any advice or help or contacts that you or your group could give me. It is my fondest desire to help the local population gain more from their land, and have freedom from privation and countless hours of fruitless work that simultaneously destroys their land base. I am working to support myself while I try to educate and help the farmers, so I am a little stressed being pulled in all directions.

I am operating in MADRIGAL and in CHIVAY.
    My current project is a teaching course for children up in Madrigal, and a chacra owner has lent me the space between his chacra to use as experimental land.
    If you could suggest plants that I could grow between his chacra, that would be wonderful. I also really want to start an initiative to turn cow patties into methane for cooking, feeding the sludge to a biodigester, the remaining stuff to earthworms, and then using the result for soil restoration. (and feeding the earthworms to chickens)

My Peace Corps friend is leaving and I am afraid I will feel a little bit discouraged being alone without support.

I am not averse to leaving my site and coming to where you are, and working and living there, helping out, etc. I have the beginnings of a setup here, but working together is so much easier than working alone.

Even some words of encouragement would be amazing. Advice and help, contacts with new people in Peru will be wonderful.
    Thanks for the time reading this post.

Gustavo M

4. silvia

silvia New Member

Hey Gustavo, do you speak spanish?? I'm starting a project in a small plot of land in Pachacamac, a humble area with not many green areas, isolated and at the same time very interesting and what's most important, a good soil for agriculture. I was in Chivay and Colca Canyon some weeks ago and I'm sorry I didn't get to know from you by then. Anyway, it would be interesting to hear from you and exchange some feedback. I also work with kids in a waldorf school in cieneguilla. If you'd like to contact me by email, write to [email protected]
    Best regards!
    Silvia

5. luzytierra

luzytierra Junior Member

travelling to Peru

Hello Gustavo,

After Christmas me and my boyfriend will begin a trip to Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador with the aim of visiting different Permaculture projects. The idea is to help as volunteers in exchange of bed and food. Since that is exactly what you propose I would like we keep in contact to arrange details of our possible visit. My e-mail [email protected]
    I also speak spanish since I am argentinian.
    Hugs,

MarĂ­a Luz