Permaculture Portfolio

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by laurango, Aug 11, 2011.

1. laurango

laurango New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Laura and I am currently an undergraduate student doing final year of agricultural economics. My degree requires that I have to hand in a portfolio on the topic that I am personally interested. As a person who always idealistically tries to solve the problem of the world I stumble upon the answer to my question of unsustainable human development and how do we go about it?..yes the light to the answer I found was "Permaculture", it was introduced to me by one of my workmates while I was working in a nursery in Dural Australia. Since then I think I am kind of get addicted to the whole idea. And here I am joining the forum just to learn and get the latest news about Permaculture.

Being an economic student what interests me the most about Permaculture is that it seems to be cost effective for individual small scale farming.

Laura

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Welcome aboard Laura.

Economics and Permaculture are an interesting mix - I think you'll find a lot of robust conversation about that here.

My personal opinion is that we need to move away from living in an economy and get back to living in a society ;)

3. ebunny

ebunny Junior Member

Hi Laura

You might be interested in a book called "The Value of Nothing" by Raj Patel. not so much on the permaculture side of things (though in the same spirit) but a very interestign examination of the underlying principles of economics and the unintended consequences that it has created. Permaculture is a response to addressing those 'unpriced externalities' in a way. Anyway, a great read.