Permaculture Paddock Paradise in the Lockyer Valley

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Stubby, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Well, I thought I better move to a different thread. I've been posting some info about what I do in the "Introductions" forum, but it's proably heaps better to continue the started discussion here.

What I am aiming to achieve is to create a horse (and people) heaven on just 2.5ac, with the goal of being just about self sufficient with fodder and food. We have 3 horses, 10 chooks (although 3 are roosters... can't bring myself to turn 3 of them into stew), 2 dogs, and a mother-in-law.

What I have is this, using the paddock paradise principles of Jaime Jackson,
    View attachment 1439
    and what I want to create for the paddocks is something like this
    View attachment 1440
    with lots of fodder trees and bushes for the horses to browse on to get lots of variety into their diet, and hopefully save me $$ on feed bills.

I am looking forward to some constructive critique :).

Attached Files:

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    haha ...does she know she comes after the dog?
    I suggest you get a book called 'The herbal handbook for farm and stable' by Juliette de bairacli levy.
    It gives some excellent advise as to what to add to pastures and hedgerows for the various animals to help themselves to.
    I just lent mine to a friend for this reason.

3. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Hi mischief, got the book ;), and no she doesn't know :D.

4. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

After a rather productive evening on the forum discussing and researching worm farms, especially those in bathtubs, I am ready today to get started on building the first one. I've picked up one yesterday from a bathroom reno, still have mounds of old shadecloth, a connector for the drain to be able to fit a horse to it, bored bricks at the neighbour waiting to be put to good use, old fridge shelve, and oodles of old horse manure... and as much of fresh manure.
    Terra has a system of composting horse manure that I'd love to investigate further as well... maybe put those ones in the spots where I want to grow fodder shrubs and trees to get the soil happening... I really have crappy soil for growing things in.

Mischief... Just noted your signature. That's exactly what I keep saying... along with ... The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

5. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Stubby:

What kind of trees do horses prefer to browse from in your climate? I haven't read the book you have linked to. :)

Looks like a fun project. I'll have to pass on your successes to a friend who owns horses back in the States.

6. Terra

Terra Moderator

Petra ive started a members system , pic there on simple composting / worm compound
    Rob

7. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Good question... I am still discovering myself. My horses have been browsing on my hibiscus, leucaena (although this one contains toxic mimoseine which will cause hairloss in horses is eaten too much of). I am going to grow (fingers crossed) Tagasaste, Pidgeon Pea, Dogwood, bamboo, maybe even some sugar cane as a 'treat'. I am also thinking of getting some Elder (Sambuca nigra) which will also contribute to some elderberry jam and elderberry wine.

8. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

I will have a look :)

9. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

I wish things would grow faster. Every morning and evening I find myself checking on my Tagasaste and Pidgeon Pea seeds, check if the comfrey has stuck it's head out yet and wonder when the capsicum, tomato and lettuce seeds will appear. When I get home after work, around mid-afternoon :). In the next few days I am expecting Moringa seeds to arrive, and my worms from Brian... so looking forward to these.

I am planning a trip to the nurseries to get myself two mulberry trees and some bamboo to add to my list of fodder trees. Not sure if the mulberry will be a good fodder tree, but I will be happy to make sure all the mulberries on the tree are edible. Will test them personally ;).

On the weekend more work will be done on the vegie patch, filling the big bed up with bought compost, and in the small future fodder forest the soil needs to be decompacted. I tried the mattock... it's back breaking... literally, so I am going to put the spinkler on the patch for a few days and then put the ripping tynes down on the box grader and see if I can make a scratch into those compacted areas, then more water and hopfully then I can break through the worst of the compaction. I am glad I have some time before the seedlings need to go into the ground so I can prepare the area properly. I would love to get all the area decompacted, but will see how I go, maybe just where I want to plant the trees, dig out the holes, put compost in, mix it with the dirt I dug out and then put the tree seedlings in... and pray.

Lots to do ...

10. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Last night I sat down and had a bit of a think about where to plant what etc. It all came about because I made a bit of an impulse buy of 2 citrus trees, 2 of my favourite oranges (blood and valencia), and then whent... OMG where do I plant them and what do they actually need, and can I plant them with other fruit trees, and coffee trees... yikes... did a bit of a search on the forum and you guessed it ... asked more questions... and great answers... thanks everyone :).

Here is the revised property plan
    [​IMG]
    Just a quick note, in the legend, D should actually be E when it comes to irrigation, although both will use rainwater from the tanks. :)

11. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

I am excited :). My comfrey is starting to stick its first leaves out, my lettuces, capsicums and tomatoes are starting to sprout too. The Queensland Arrowroot is growing roots and looks like the first leaves will be emerging soon too. My Tagasaste is also poking its first leaves out.

Aaah... spring... it's amazing the changes it brings about.