Permaculture on Mars

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Pakanohida, Jul 8, 2012.

1. shanemuk

shanemuk New Member

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day shanemuk,

dunno why you may judge that your post will be hated, usually here anything off the planet so to speak is pretty much accepted.

suppose we can have thee fictional ideas of another planet called home, but when it is all said and done earth is what we have, if there was another chance the same mistakes might well occur as we have had happen here.

welcome aboard

len

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day shanemuk, welcome to the PRI Forum.

So I read the blog post, and on this one, I tend to agree with Len: we only (feasibly) have one planet. I appreciate your thought bubble, however I can't help but think if we spend the time (money and energy) on repairing this one (planet) before we even contemplate colonising another, then our time (money and energy) would be far better spent.

I suspect your introductory post here is more about Christian Atheism than it is about permaculture on Mars. I've been around a bit, and as such I have quite a few friends and acquaintances. Some of them (not many, by far the majority are atheists) hold various religious views. This means that from time-to-time I have been invited to attend church, synagogue, temple and even once, friday night prayers at the mosque in order to join in the fun (or fervour, depending on the flavour of the doctrine). I was not scarred by any of these encounters - at least not as much as when I was a 4-y-o and attended Sunday School, that is before I was asked to leave for questioning the existence of God - and often the food and discourse after was really great (in small doses of each). However, for me, and apart from an initial burst of interest, after a while all 'closed book/loop' doctrinal discourse becomes a little boring - a bit like the idea of permaculture on Mars.

As an aside: I did the whole 'click on me' thing, and ended up at your FB page. Here I found your link to Stedman's book. I haven't yet read it, so I will put it on my 'stack of things to read'. Although, my 'stack' is at this moment at risk of toppling over due to its rather ungainly height, so I might not, too. I have, however, read de Botton's latest, and I'm afraid I found it a little tedious. Not that I'm militant in my position of non-belief, it's just that I find I have very little time to go over the same old concepts/circular arguments, which invariably happens when one opens discourse on the subject with those who 'sit on the fence'. In the end, I just think that non-atheists are either intellectually challenged (often through no fault of their own - e.g. coincidence of birth into a war zone, etc.) or intellectually lazy - perhaps sometimes a bit of both?

I do, however, have the 'solution' to all of the world's ills, and this comes in the form of free, secular and universal education ... for everyone! So, in closing, I guess this is where I am going to spend the bulk of my time, advocating for the development of the former, rather than spending any more time contemplating permaculture on Mars.

Cheerio, Markos

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day mark,

yep this is home nowhere else.

did want to hear more on your free secular position, but seems that is not allowed, i was in primary school 50 to 60.

anyhow have a good one

len