Permaculture help needed in Kenya

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by annabegas, Oct 23, 2009.

1. annabegas

annabegas Junior Member

Hello, I need help! A good friend of mine who lives near Machakos in kenya is in need of a garden to provide food for himself. He lives in a rural area, it gets dryer every year, and the last 2 years have been plagued by famine. If he could start up a garden with permaculture principles, the whole area can be inspired, most people there live of foreign aid, except during the brief rainy seasons, but food is usually only distributed to heads of families, not to people living alone. I don't know enough about permaculture in a dry climate like that, and he doesn't either. I'm looking for people who can help. I will probably be able to provide many helping hands.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Permaculture help needed in Kenya

annabegas
    Could you be more specific ?
    What advice and help do you need first?

3. annabegas

annabegas Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. The situation is that I'm in the UK, and cannot go to Kenya now, but I can go in the summer, possibly taking some friends to help. I'm planning to do a PDC in the summer, before I would go to Kenya. For now the most important questions are:
    How can start a garden that retains water? At this moment it is dry season.
    Are there any people willing to help with this small project in Kenya?
    The biggest problem is the lack of water. He had a generator to pump water, which he stored in tanks. The generator has been stolen, and the water from the tanks is finished.

Sincerely,
    Anna

4. annabegas

annabegas Junior Member

I'll just add something to my last message as plans are forming now.
    I'm in contact with Badalisha.org, which is an ecovillage with a permaculture project in Kenya. they are living in a different climate, but are willing to help. My partner has a small NGO and we are hoping that the two organisations could work together on this.
    I could probably get together a few people to come to Kenya with us this summer (probably earliest time we can go would be june or july). There would be no lack of goodwill, but possible lack of experience and knowledge of how to start a sustainable garden in an arid climate.
    As we can go no earlier then june/ july, we have time to develop this idea into a real plan and then materialize it. I do think the idea has great potential to materialize, even if it is only because I am quite determinded to do whatever is in my power to help my friend there. I think if we could set up this little project, so many people there could benefit and learn to become independent of foreign aid, and grow healthy fresh food for themselves. Besides that, it will be very enriching to join hands and do the physical and mental work to set all of this up.
    My main problem is not having enough time now to spend on preparing or learning. That's why I'm asking for help.

5. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

first of all start collecting organic waste, ie tree offcuts, grasses etc, and plan swales! then pile the stuff onto the swales, ideally cut the stuff into smallest pieces you can, divert their bathing water to the swale, or even bathe at the swale.

also check out 'global gardener' series by bill mollison, there is a school in kenya they film, you can get this 4 part series by torrent.

6. annabegas

annabegas Junior Member

Thank you!

7. matto

matto Junior Member

8. annabegas

annabegas Junior Member

Thank you I will have a look at it

9. Jana

Jana Junior Member

You need to do whatever you can to increase the soil organic matter and fungi/bacteria population. Moringa trees can be grown as a green crop to feed into the soil. www.treesforlife.org/

BUCKWHEAT GOOP AND SOIL MATRIXING MOLECULES
    In growing my sprouts I found that the buckwheat gives off a thick gelatinous goop as it germinates. This being rather unpalatable I used to rinse it off and put the goop on a indoor plant. I noticed that the plant immediately responded with increased growth and greenness, whereas it hadn’t when I gave it the soak water of my other varieties of sprouts. It dawned on me that the assimilation faculty of the roots had improved with the introduction of the goop and that mere minerals and nitrogen had not contributed significantly to increased growth. Goop-mucigel consists of mucopolysaccharides and glycoproteins and inorganic salts suspended in water producing colloidal homogenization and holding water in the soil to serve as protective matrix which allows minerals and molecules to be more readily uptaken by plant root hairs; as well as improving the soil crumb structure (tilth). These molecules would naturally form from the breakdown of plant and animal material in a natural ecosystem, however urban environments starve the soil of these soil-matrix molecules, thereby the soil loses its water holding capacity, its ability to withstand leaching, its colloidal suspension of nutrients for supplying plant roots, the protection of root hairs and a moist soil condition that supports thriving microbe populations.

MYCORRHIZA
    Mychorrhiza hold water in the soil and transmit nutrients to the plants. Fungi/mushrooms may actually do the urban remineralization alchemy for us. Say if we used “transition group elements” rich soil amendments, ocean concentrates, kelp, shale, peatmoss, forest mulch etc...for growing the fungi. Mycorrhiza extends the soil nutrient scavenging capacity of plants up to 4 times more than its roots alone. www.fungi.com/
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2276683453801912113 —Paul Stamets at the 10th LOHAS conference

Rob Gourlay, an environmental scientist and founder of the Environmental Research & Information Consortium (ERIC) told us about how he has been combining Effective Microorganisms (EM) and ORMUS in some of the ERIC products and Australian farmers have started asking him "where is all the water coming from?" after using this product. https://eric.com.au/html/papers_soilmap.php

Algoculture: Spirulina, Hope for a Hungry World; and Spirulina, Production and Potential —Denise Fox
    www.spirulinasource.com/earthfoodch8a.html
    www.spirulinasource.com/earthfoodch9a.html —Microalgae’s role in restoring earth

10. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

Could anyone be of help? Jana has mentioned about spiriluna.i would call this weed probiotic because not only it is food but also medicine.we are doing this farming and bee keeping. Any ideas on how best to develope it is much welcome.
    We have products like food, cosmetics and drugs from this farming.our aim is to help those living in remote areas and who knows we might discover cure for non treatable ailments.funds and ideas affects us most.join us please.

11. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

https://www.anancy.net/
    Kenya Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN)
    P.O. Box 72461,Nairobi 00200, Kenya
    Tel: +254-(0)20-8566172/3/4; Fax :+254-(0)20 8566175
    E-mail: [email protected],Website:[url]www.koan.co.ke[/url]
    These guys give practicals and simple advices to local people,you would be best to steer clear of some of these wonder foods many are hepatoxins and must be made well and taken correctly to work.Usually if something is to good to be true it is.Honey however is a true super food,the keep it simple situation is probably the best idea.Many bad things happen when good intentions and need are combined.
    Compost has been around for millennia,it's tried and true and you will get results with the basics.Any thing simple will naturally become more and more complex.Things that are complex such as the growing of algae is never going to get more and more simple.Moringa trees are an excellent food forget mulching them they are nearly 30 % protein the seeds can be used to clarify dirty water........
    Good Luck
    Fernando Pessoa

12. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

'Permaculture help needed in Kenya'

Thanks Fernando Pessoa .As it goes you cannot bake your own cake and eat it.Thats why i believe in unity, friends mean a lot to me.I will contact K.O.A.N.

13. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

14. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

Permaculture help needed in Kenya

This is great. I didnt know of such wild plants.my wonder is do they have any nutrition value in them.from ethiopia to kenya is quite some distance i wish there is a case study in kenya so that i can enroll.
    Thanks fernando pessoa

before i forget happy new year 2011.

15. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

I have been using manufactured fertilizers in my farm for a number of years.if i try to plant without fertilizers the yield is very low.how can i use organic farming so that i can retain the soil fertility for better yield.
    Can i also get somebody who can introduce me to moringa farming in kenya please.

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Compost and mulching are the keys to retaining soil fertility Innoverts. And in the long run much better for the soil.

17. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Also to increase soil fertility, plant legumes. Read up on some of the legume threads around here. I've been trying to plant some this season. I probably make it sound harder than it is though but that's only because I had a lot of seed to plant. Where i'm from, sugarcane farmers plant it before they plant the sugar crop.

Legumes add nitrogen to the soil which is essential for growth. So that's one type of fertiliser you won't need to get from the shop anymore. Some legumes can be used for mulching, while some are good sources of high protein food. To get the most out of my lablab, i can chop it back twice for mulch before allowing it to go to seed. Then when i harvest the seed, i've got next years wet season mulch. In the meantime it protects the soil from the sun. If you've got cows, they can eat the plant. humans can eat the seed but it contains cyanide so it must be cooked to deal with that. Lots of info around the web on this sort of thing.

Look up legumes on google. Don't forget to buy innoculant when you buy the seed so that you will get the maximum benefit from the plants.

You can fertilise with aged animal manures.

If there's a sugar mill around you can try to obtain mill mud from them which is rich in all sorts of goodies including phosphorous. Where i'm from, those who can get it, swear by this stuff. Its a by product of the sugar refining process.

18. MoD

MoD Junior Member

Looks like Warren Brush from Quail Springs just did a PDC in Kenya last month and has another in March.

Maybe you can get in contact with the locals that took the PDC for assistance or contact Warren.

https://www.quailsprings.org/events

Permaculture Design Courses in Kenya - East Africa

December 6-19, 2010 at Nyumbani Village
    March 9-23, 2011 at Badilisha EcoVillage

Co-sponsored & coordinated by True Nature Design, Quail Springs Permaculture Farm, and Nyumbani Village and Badilisha EcoVillage.
    Learn how to design for stability, resilience, and abundance in a village in Kenya that is dedicated to sustainability and community health.

Earn your Permaculture Design Certification
    Contribute to the essential work that is bettering the lives of many people in Kenya
    Gain hands-on skills in sustainable systems design and application in a village setting: Water harvesting, storage, and conservation strategies that drought proof landscapes. Local food security and waste cycling. Dryland agriculture strategies. Appropriate technology, ecological building, energy efficiency, food forestry, and much more...
    Nyumbani Village, in the Kitui District 2-hours from Nairobi, is home to hundreds of elders and children who were orphaned by family members who have died of HIV/AIDS.

Badilisha EcoVillage, on Rusinga Island in Lake Victoria, operates orphan feeding programs, local scholarship funds, women’s empowerment and family adoption programs.

For more info or to register to take your Permaculture Design Course in Kenya: contact Kolmi Majumdar at [email protected] or 805-886-7239.

Contribute to Permaculture in Kenya: You can help support the teaching of a Permaculture Design Certification Course in Kenya by making a donation today on ChipIn.

19. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

Right now i am preparing land for planting i hope this will help me alot and community around me.
    Thanks sun burn

20. INNOVERTS

INNOVERTS Junior Member

I AM A NEW MEMBER HENCE THAT IS WHY I AM LOOKING FOR ALL HELP AVAILABLE SO THAT I CAN SAIL IN THE SHIP AS OTHERS.LET ME LOOK AT THE CONTACT SITES YOU HAVE GIVEN ME AND I KNOW I WILL BE SOMEWHERE.
    NICE DAY MoD I WILL LET YOU GUYZ KNOW MY PROGRESS ONCE I KICK OFF