Permaculture ? don't mention it?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ev, Jun 2, 2006.

1. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Grahame and Don both have wisdom in their words - thanks guys.

Permaculture for me is much more than a word. It is a banner we can gather under to combine our efforts towards (insert word here) (sustainability, resilience, community, ?) It is this banner that makes Permaculture what it is, as we all know, there is very little new in Permaculture but the value in the concept was that it was bought together into a design strategy. This bringing together, for me, is the power of the movement and so we should consider supporting the concept and using the word as a point of muster for people who are like-minded and build on the communality and value the diversity.

2. aikidesigns

aikidesigns Junior Member

Yes. =D

3. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

I have been trying to work out how to get the permaculture message across to Generation Y and often talking about examples before mentioning permaculture is the best starting point. Maybe the other way of putting it might be to use a computer game analogy. Maybe suggesting to Gen Y that when they put down their computer games and want to get on with the real game of life, looking at all the potential of growing your own game, then Permaculture is the skill and knowledge base you need to make the most out of it. It is about knowing how all the components fit together and interact. Life is short compared to this infinite and ongoing game of continuous learning and experimentation. That is what I love about this website - it has taken permaculture to such higher and professional levels but anyone can do there bit and taste the difference!
    I get the impression a lot more breakthroughs will happen to improve the acceptance of permaculture but the world will also soon start to realise it is essential and needs supporting. Non- Perma "culture" is really starting to get shaky now sometimes Permaculture is more easy to define by what it isn't. I don't know if this is the case for others but I like to use permaculture as a model for thought and communication - germination if ideas etc. It can also be used for analysis. I did not even realise I was doing it for years but it helps sustain me in what has been some pretty unusual workplaces and communities.

4. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

tell them its a system to beat the system.

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Tell them it's a system that means we have to less work ;-)

6. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

I think it is better than that - knowing permaculture principles helps you see things more clearly, get the most out of the work you do and potentially have more time to do and achieve the things you want to achieve - whether these are more work or play ! It is also about being able to extract energy and getting excited about ideas and concepts to see potential for improvement when there is so much going wrong and in the other direction in the workplace and the world !

Most of Generation Y is a bit preoccupied to realise this so until it comes out as a movie or something visual with one of them in it then it might not appear on their electronic radar!

7. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

When the Student is ready the teacher will appear.

and

When the teacher is ready the student will appear

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    :y::)

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I think we are all a student of someones teaching throughout our lives... and vice versa!

10. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Learn and teach, teach and learn...

11. Sezmo

Sezmo Junior Member

This!
    I found this site searching for help with my gardening. That wasn't all the information I was searching for, and Permaculture is helping to answer(and create!) a lot of questions about the future... I think in a time of need people go searching for guidance - more and more people will discover that there are more ways to do things than 'the norm'.

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Out of everything I read, this is the only post that seems to "get it."