Permaculture Design Course, AFRICA - Training Needs

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Fidelis, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Fidelis

Fidelis New Member

Hi everyone!
    I am currently working in Eritrea, an arid country along the southern Red Sea coast with only 600mm annual rainfall. Northern parts are very dry and desertification is encroaching on the marginal lands very very fast. There are no perennial rivers or streams except for one shared with Ethiopia on the southern border.

The highlands are relatively OK with adequate grass for livestock grazing.

In most parts of the country, agriculture relies on rainfed irrigation, underground water level is quickly dwindling at alarming rates, drought is something normal now. The situation is really precarious.

It is with this picture that I am asking if there is anybody out there that can help in training our people (in Eritrea) in this important Permanent agriculture system that will help the land to be restored to its crop and grass yielding capacity that it used to have. I have contacted UNDP and am in the process to contact FAO in this country to get their support for this. I know this effort can go a long way to alleviating poverty and improve the environmental conditions.

Any help out there?

2. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    Hello,

Have you contacted the Permaculture Research Institute (the owner of this forum) to see what they have to suggest. Have you done a PDC and if so can you work on doing a Intro to PC course with these people as a starting point.

I'll forward your email to some other PC newsgroups to try and solicit a response.

Cheers,

DD

3. Guest

I am interested in presenting courses to your people that will leave them some knowledge and skills to effect change. I have a small team of teachers and practioners that are willing to spend some time in your country. Please detail what you need, the length of time and what assistance in fares and accommodation we may or may not expect.
    Janet Millington

4. Guest

With many years experience in teaching sustainable (both economic and bio) agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa, and in higher education in the USA, I would certainly be willing to offer any advice or guidence you need in this area. It is imperative that people understand that without bio-sustainability there is no economic sustainability for the farmers or the community.

5. Guest

Dear Fiedel,
    I would like to inform you that we are having a permaculture Design certificate course in Egypt .It is one of the pioneer permaculture and sustainable energy course.we intend to give also a lot of group building and self building lectures.
    You are welcomed to come and share this experience.Please book your places as soon as possible as we have limitted number available.
    you can see the advertizment in
    https://www.permaculture .org.au
    Sincerely,
    Dr.Samia