PERMACULTURE COURSES

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by sab, May 28, 2005.

1. sab

sab Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I am just wondering about the Permaculture course offered by the Australian Correspondence Schools (acs.edu.au).
    Has anyone done it and what's it like.

I bought 4 ha in Widgee three years ago (just before the prices went up) but as I'm overseas a lot I'm still in the planning stage, though I spend my vacations making compost and planting trees which are growing really quickly. (But I only see them in photots occasionally so I'm excited at how much they've grown.)

I was a bit worried at first as the land was solid clay and the rainfall is low but was really encouraged by the permaculture principles so I made tons of compost and now can easily fork down about 18 inches in the garden beds.

2. Deanna G

Deanna G New Member

Permaculture courses

Hi Widgeenut,

I can't help you with information but I am also keen to find out about Permaculture courses in WA- preferably on weekends. Do you know of any?

3. psychochook

psychochook Junior Member

Permaculture courses

Hi Widgeenut,

I live in Melbourne, and completed a Permaculture Design Course 2 weeks ago. I did mine in Bega (NSW).

In my opinion, you would miss out on so much by doing the course by correspondence. One of the best things of the course was meeting and interacting with 10 other amazing and fascinating people (all the other trainees).

I feel that I learned a heap just from those people. That opportunity would never have presented itself if I had done the course by correspondence.

4. sab

sab Junior Member

Thanks for that. My husband and I are thinking of doing one together when we get back to Aus - money permitting.

5. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Hi all

I too am interested in attending a permaculture course. TAFE runs organic farming courses which look pretty good but unfortunately the only campuses that offer them are in far nothern NSW. Can anyone offer suggestions as to courses run in the Sydney-Blue Mountains-Central TAblelands-Southern Highlands areas?

Thanks

spritegal :D

6. Luke B

Luke B Junior Member

i'm currently studying 'organic farming cert 4' at richmond tafe nsw, it is a two year course, runs once a week 6 til 9 on tuesday nights. very interesting, lots of methods, really good teacher, and the other students a great too.

7. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Thanks Luke that's a great help!

8. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

Recomended Permaculture Design Course Teachers

Hi There
    here is a list of recomended Permaculture Design Course Teachers. :D

Permaculture Melbourne Virginia Solomon 103 Thompson Cres, Research 3095 [email protected] 03 9439 8113
    Brogo Permaculture Gardens Sharon Champagne PO Box,576, Bega, NSW, 2550 [email protected] 02 6492 7306
    Southern Cross PC Institute Naomi Coleman 7710 Bass Hwy Leongatha South Victoria 3953 [email protected]
    03 5664 3301
    SEED International Morag Gamble 50 Crystal Waters Kilcoy Lane Conondale Qld 4552 [email protected] 07 5494 4833
    UNSW Ecoliving Centre Cameraon Little 14 Arthur St. Randwick NSW 2031 [email protected] 02 9398 8838
    Eumindi Permacultue Farm Janet Millington 140 Finley Rd Eumindi QLD 4562 [email protected]
    Permaculture North Sydney Kade Pride property 2, 182 Morgan Rd Belrose NSW 2085 [email protected]
    PRI Geoff/Nadia Lawton 56 Johnston Rd Clunes 2480 [email protected]

Northy St City Farm Dick Copeman 16 Victoria St. Windsor Qld 4030 [email protected]
    07 3857 8775
    Simply Natural Organic Farm Jade Woodhouse 413 Highlands Rd Eudlo Qld 4554 [email protected] 07 5445 9034

Living Waters Permaculture Found. Claire Everett RMB 1495 Mt Shadford, Denmark WA 6333 [email protected]
    08 9848 2171
    The Food Forest Annemarie Brookman PO Box 859 Gawler SA 5118 [email protected]
    08 85226450
    Sustainable Living Institute Inc Jodie Lane 285 Carters Rd WA 6285 [email protected]
    08 9757 3311
    Earthcare Education Robin Clayfield Lot 58 Crystal Waters Community, Maleny QLD 4552 [email protected]
    07 5494 4707
    Djanbung Gardens Robyn Francis 74 Cecil Street. Nimbin, NSW 2480 [email protected] 02 6689 1755
    Ecological Solutions Lloyd Williams 59 Crystal Waters, 65 Kilcoy Lane,Conondale Qld 4552 [email protected] 07 5494 4741
    Permaculture Research Institute Geoff and Nadia Lawton https://www.permaculture.org.au/ [email protected] 0409922876

9. Sars

Sars New Member

ACS

HI, i have just found this forum and wanted to find out the deal about the correspondance school aswell. I would love to do one of the other many amazing looking courses that are offered, however, my job as a full time mumma to a 14 month old little girl comes first at the moment and for some time to come, therefore the correspondance school course was looking good as a starting platform for me. I would appreciate anyones feed back about this permaculture course offered by the australian correspondance school. thanks for your help
    Sars

10. Melissa

Melissa Junior Member

correspondence course

G'day there,

I'm currently doing my PDC through April Sampson of Permaculture Visions International at :www.permaculturevisions.com. totally by e-mail.

It's great, as there's no course available in Darwin, and from my homework that April sets I'll create my own course notes and start a course up here.

I'm also keen to practice in Broome WA and hope to set a course up over there one day.

Melissa

11. Sars

Sars New Member

I will have a look at that link! thanks for that. I think that is the thing with learning permaculture is that you want to teach what you learn to others and spread the knowledge around. The more the merrier definately!!!