Permaculture and Spiritualism (aka: the Metaphysical)

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ecodharmamark, Jan 6, 2012.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Get back to work Markos. I want to read your thesis when it is done.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Ditto. :D I love reading thesi (that the plural of more then one thesis?)

3. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

i suspect that as we are all born in a particular position in the zodiac we cannot help but bring our own baggage with us
    im an Aquarian with moon in Leo :thus i staunchly defend my crazy ideas
    P Andrews is a scorpio /libran ;this may explain some of his mannerisms
    G Lawton is a saggitarias ;thus the aging rocc star/plilosipher
    what is Bill?
    out with your star signs! even if its just insurance!
    mostly geminis when i did my pdc

4. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Oh Markos …………………

If I may quote (or possibly miss-quote, considering the hour of the evening), from Paul’s Letter to the Romans;

“Let all of the poisons that lurk in the mud, hatch out.”

Perhaps you will understand, perhaps not. From the pleasure of our encounters in years gone by, I would wish to believe the former.

The only question that rests is why?

I remain your obedient servant;

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    ha ha good one andrew. Aquarian with Aries moon... asserting my crazy ideas.

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Marko, thanks for your post and taking the time to give a concrete example. I appreciate that. Will reply later :)

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Cancer. How do I tell what moon sign? (Yes I get crabby at times....)

8. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Im a capricorn,we are supposed to be Level headed.
    Maybe my wackyness stems from the influence of having a Pisces mum?

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Water Rat... err Tauren...take yer pick for a zodiac. ;)

In my own zodiac, I am a surfer.. and that changes everything. Hey I think Geoff Lawton surfs... maybe he would like to see this surf report, come on out and relax for a while. ;)

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

For the record, I did notice next Tuesdays forecast and it does concern me a little. 43MPH winds with 60+mph gusts is not fun around here.

11. annette

annette Junior Member

Cancer with moon in cancer too. double whammy. libra on the ascendent.

12. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

google zodiac moon sign this is just as important as it is the feminine side cancer is the sighn of healers and great with animals

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Oh my word. Taurus is my moon sign and this is what they say -
    Spookily correct....

14. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

im an earth monkey in chinese astrology

even if the star charts only discipline us to plant4 times a month weed 4 times its good insurance

15. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm an Atheist and in no way spiritual but I respect the fact that most peoples beliefs and values differ from mine. I would suggest that is a prayer must be said at any point in a permaculture course is should perhaps be done as a five minute silence when you can pray as you wish and the Athiests can think about lunch or reflect on what they have learned.

I think any permaculture course that has a spiritual or religeous aspect as an integral part of the course is fine too as long as it is advertised and participants can make an informed choice before enrolement.

16. floot

floot Junior Member

I am eggnostic!!

[The damned chicken came second]:p

Cheers,

17. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

As a believer in The Theory of Evolution it is hard to reconcile that the chicken could have come before the egg. However, that the chicken exists at all is in itself quite miraculous. That evolution is possible blows my mind. The universe has depths that scientific methodology will never plumb. However, I still think that this should be kept separate from Permaculture Design Courses. Those who have no inkling of the depth of the universe may find it through Permaculture. Those who already travel the esoteric depths may find that an Earth based PDC may bring them back to the physical. I don't think that a PDC is intended as the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything - my understanding is that it is a detailed introduction to physical world techniques of reintegrating humans with nature. It's about how we interact with the planet in relation to the laws of physics; if we do this, this is the expected outcome. The modern theory of Economics ignores these basic laws of physics. The modern ideal of capitalism and economic growth ignores these basic laws of physics. The mystic, new-age theories by and large ignore these basic laws of physics to their detriment. The planet has physical constraints - permaculture and PDC's, by my interpretation, are all about designing systems that allow us to live within them. The spiritual is more about how we relate to them as individuals - no less important, but not part of the brief.

Spirituality allows me to formulate the Aim, permaculture allows me to formulate the Method. The Aim and the Method are different aspects of the Project. My theory is that people who are attracted to permaculture already share similar aims, they are just in need of the method. Why confuse the method with interpretation? By all means convince people of the aim, or at least strengthen their feeling of purpose, but lets not forget that the method requires no spiritual interpretation to be effective. We don't have to convince dairy farmers of the existence of god or Gaia, all we need to do is convince them that there is a more sustainable way.

Have I rambled? Am I sleeping? Am I awake?

18. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Selective breeding/mutation/genetic selection meant that particular chicken came after the egg.;)

19. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    LOL, "eggnostic". = )

20. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I need / want to state some clarification because the PDM written by Mollison has me wondering about 2 issues.

1 - Flowforms, this technology is based off of work by Vicktor Schauberger and while some of it may come across as metaphysical there is more then enough direct scientific evidence now (work from the late 70's to early 90s) points to some of the reasons this technology works so well, but there is more esoteric anomolies that occur that science cannot at this time readily explain. WTF do we do about that in a course if brought up?

2 - The Mandala and Sacred Geometery - the PDM has an entire section of patterns in nature, and anyone that studies this long enough starts coming up with the same mathematical formulas and esoteric symbols such as the Vesica Piscis, and so on. The mandala garden that Linda Woodrow champions, as does page 274 of the PDM also point towards edge use along these lines.

Is such study "metaphysical" even though science backs both of these paranormal (ie - above normal) discussions? Shouldn't these areas be studied more? Or are they beyond the scope of PDC discussions?