Peas with white leaves

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by SueinWA, Mar 12, 2007.

1. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Can anyone tell me why some of my English garden peas (pole or climbing type) occasionally turn white? White leaves, white stems.

It can be one in a row, or several in a row. Most in the same row are fine.

'Tis a puzzlement.

Sue

2. Plumtree

Plumtree Junior Member

I have seen the leaves/stems on peas turn white as the plant goes to seed while the plant next door may carry on in a normal way. Is this the sort of thing you are descibing? Too much fertiliser will make a plant bolt. A concentration of fertiliser in one spot can cause one plant to go to seed while another does not.
    :?

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

No, the plants are often still in the growing stage and just beginning to form pods. I know what you mean, though, and that doesn't surprise me. But these go completely white, you couldn't even call them pale green. White.

I don't know about the fertilizer. I certainly don't use chemical kinds, just compost and manure, but still, I suppose there could have been an "overabundance" in some spots.

I was thinking some kind of disease, but that's just a guess.

Sue

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hi Sue The seads you used to start off your Pea forest are they Hybrid or non hybrid,sounds like they maybe hybrids, if not,It maybe just one of those things and pull it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tezza