pear and cherry slug...what to do ?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by baringapark, Nov 13, 2005.

1. baringapark

baringapark Junior Member

Hi all

anyone have any remedies for this little slimy pest? Is there a deficiency in our soil that lets them devastate our fruit trees?

thanks

E

2. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Hi E,
    I don't know anything about your slugs, sorry, but wanted to catch you while you're here.
    PMs are down...proddly running so hot the system crashed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Anyhew, I have 9 eggs here I have collected from the Dorkings since the 9th. and I wondered if you want me to send them to you tomorrow?? What I mean is are 9 worth sending or would you prefer a dozen? It's just that it'll be Wednesday if we wait and they won't make it in the post before the weekend......let me know, k?

3. baringapark

Hey Tully

PMs are down are they? Well my incubators are down...bugger! Results have been very poor and now the temp. is all over the place. I think we will have to give it a miss for now as the weather is getting warm too and don't want to risk cooking a dozen eggs in the 'bator.

Hope your hatch goes well and I will let you know if we can fix the problem or not.

E

4. ~Tullymoor~

What a bugger! I hope you can fix them. The only reason I've been able to collect is that Dorking #1 that was on a setting got off the other day and the other chooks ate the eggs yewwwwwwww, so I have 5 back on the lay. Dork #2 is still sitting tight on her dozen and I have my fingers and all bits crossed for that lot. An Australorp went clucky about the same time and of course I had no Dork eggs to put under her so she has Dorking X Lorp and OEG bantam eggs under her.....they will be my practice-for-the-table-birds (when I can re-locate your instructions, thanks again) and some for a house warming present if I get enough.
    Anyway, good luck with your grubs and your 'bators.

Oh, have you bred your pigs since you've had them? If so, what do you do with all the piglets?

5. baringapark

First litter due in 4 weeks and the second about 1 week later. We plan on growing the piglets for the table and selling any excess. Very very excited about this.

Bad luck about your hen getting off the eggs. I had one that did that and I was able to finish em off in the 'bator, when it was working, and then shove the bubs under another clucky hen to raise.

E

6. ~Tullymoor~

OH WOW! You must be very excited...piglets are SO cute! :D
    Tell me, in your avatar, are they full grown large blacks? Is that a child or an adult giving them a hug? And, what about their temperaments? If they are young pigs in the avatar pic, did they continue to enjoy the attention as they grew older/became adults or did they become more stand-off-ish or not so safe? :?
    How much would a piglet cost and at what age do you wean them?

7. psychochook

psychochook Junior Member

Going back to the original question, a good method for getting rid of pear slugs is ash.

Get a heap of dry ash and sprinkle it on the tree. It think that it sucks the moisture out of the buggers. It won't get them all but will reduce them in numbers enough for you to then remove the remaining ones by hand.

The method I used was to stand up-wind and throw the ash into the air and let the wind distribute it across the leaves of the tree. If no wind I am sure you can simply spread it across the leaves.

8. baringapark

Yes we are off the slug trail a bit! Thanks I shall give the ash a go.

The pigs in my avatar are my girls as youngsters with me giving them a cuddle. I have raised them from 10 days old. The are 18 months now and still love a cuddle...or maybe I love it and they just put up with me. The bigger one can get nasty regarding food and especially when she is in season, but not with me, with her sister.

Piglets for commercial production are weaned at 4 weeks, but for our purposes we will keep them with mum until at least 6-8 weeks. As my gilts were pure, rare breed stock they were $80 each, but weaned piglets of more common origins can be bought for $40-$120.

You should get some, they make great pets. Very intelligent and can be trained. I haven't trained mine because I am slack, but they are as smart as dogs.

E

9. Quje

Quje Junior Member

It reminds me of that photo of Fran (I think, as I can't find the post to confirm :?) cuddling her sheep. Ahh the lovely people in this forum can't stop spreading the love :goodman: :3some: :hippy2: :sex: ok might stop with the emoticons now as that last one was getting too rude

10. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

One word... "Chooks" However you may lose your produce in the mean time :)
    [​IMG]

11. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Quje - just what are you implying with those rude emoticons :?: :!: ...the second one as well as that last one :?: :shock: :lol:

'Twas me hugging our pet lamb Lammas...but what you are suggesting is abuse :evil: :shock: :lol:

We raised Lammas from about 8 hours old - we are his parents :lovestory: :lol:

I need an emoticon for indignation :wink:

Sorry for adding to the digression Elizabeth... :)

12. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Elizabeth,

Um, getting back on topic, (not my usual skill here, :lol: ), diatamaceous earth would probably do wonders on killing slugs. They are microscopic fossils of single cell organisms that are like glass. Me thinks it would kill slugs pretty effectively. DE also works to control roaches. Its not that expensive, either.

Look for a local source as the stuff is as heavy as dirt...

C

13. Quje

Quje Junior Member

I need a dictionary for indignation :lol: Hang on I've found some synonyms in word :shock: Oh my god I didn't mean to imply that you had an improper relationship, I just meant that there is alot of love in the room, animals included :D I'm sorry for the rude ones I should be :violent1: (note I'm the hitee not the hiter) :D

BTW where can I find that pic? I thought it was very cute :D

14. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Redeemed :!: :lol:

As for where the pic is....I think it was in the earlier pages of the fluff thread...

15. Quje

Quje Junior Member

16. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Aww, and you got da beanie on :) :flower:

17. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

It was cold :sad5:

:lol:

18. baringapark

Regarding the pear and cherry slug, or wasp larvae as they actually are...According to Pat Coleby, once we get our soil right they should not be a problem. My hubby has been chatting to her and we need a bit of lime on our place. Will let you all know over time if they do not come back next year after we have worked on our soil a bit more.

E