"Peak Oil" ABC TV Four Corners 8.30 pm Monday 10 July

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ecodharmamark, Jul 7, 2006.

1. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Yep Jez, Gabraith is meticulously referenced.

He died this year at age 97 - he nearly lived long enought to see history repeat itself. The Jim Lehrer News Hour managed to interview him a short time before he died and he was well aware we were all about to launch into the abyss of financial ruin for the second time in a century (or thereabouts)

John Kenneth Galbraith 1908 - 2006

John Kenneth Galbraith was born in Ontario. His first degree was earned in his home province, and, then, turning to the United States to continue with his studies, he was to eventually receive a Ph.D. in 1934 from the University of California. Galbraith was to teach at both California and Princeton before joining the faculty at Harvard in 1948.

During WWII he was in charge of wartime price control. It is interesting to note that "Galbraith's attitude towards price and wage control is not really central to his position."2

During the Kennedy years he was an ambassador to India.

Galbraith's works include: The Great Crash (1955), The Affluent Society (1958), The Liberal Hour (1960), Made to Last (1964), and The New Industrial State (1967).

Love that Voltair quote-

There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times.

how absolutely true!

And especially relevant as we poor chumps try to make "truth" out of what is happening in the Mid East.
    Is it all just a rouse to start a war with Iran because it wants to open an oil bourse denominating in Euros?? (because the US $$$ is a dead currency)
    This Euro heresy was the same idea which got Saddam's arse kicked.... Being a bloodthirsty dictator for 20 years was OK, but dont funck with the US dollar!!!!!

And all of this is relevant to Galbraith cause he had the temerity to look behind the curtain of the US economy and its monolithic corporations - and he was stingingly criticised for his trouble.

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Thanks again for the info on Galbraith Heuristics.

The Iranian Bourse is open, but limited in trading ATM. The $US is in a fair bit of trouble, but I doubt that the Iranian Bourse will be much harm to it in the short term - perhaps more significantly, Russia is seriously considering doing the same, but that trading will be in Rubles.

I doubt the US will act on Iran unless absolutely forced to - Bush simply can't afford oil to go any higher...especially before mid-term elections. Iran is not not only a large producing nation in its own right, but they also control the Straits of Hormuz through which all Persian Gulf oil resources must pass through...if there's one thing which could push oil to many hundreds of dollars a barrel, a full on skirmish with Iran is it...in combination with Chavez they could shut down as much as 70% of world oil supplies overnight.

But back to your original point, it seems even US Federal Reserve bankers (Kotlikoff in this instance) are getting extremely nervous about the economic outlook...though the US has been bankrupt for decades, you didn't hear US Federal Reserve bankers discussing it publicly in the past...it's just way beyond crisis time now though:

Original article here (bottom of page)

Kotlikoff's piece here (PDF format)

3. greeny

greeny Junior Member

I wanted to post a link and I discovered that my preious post on this thread has been deleted... not a trace!!! I cant believe this is happening.What the......?

Concerning ratbags... check this interesting site concerning peak oil . there appear to be a few around.
    https://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=578462004

4. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

hiya Greenie -
    \I think your post was entered on one of the other two topics that are running simultaneously to this one???? I think so??

I am not sure, but I think the debate to and fro reached a consensus that you could post the link to the Russian oil site and the Zionist theory, without reproducing the whole post.

I, for one, am happy with that as an outcome...
    Ï had seen the Russian oil theory on other sites as a "refute" to Peak Oil.... as this PO issue heats up, and makes its presence felt in the MSM arguments refuting PO will be given coverage too. The Russian oil will be inevitably dragged out - those of us following PO as an issue can dismiss these furphys as they arise, so I see there is value in having ALL issues raised, debated and discounted on this forum.