PDCs at zaytuna farm

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Ricky Stevens, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Ricky Stevens

Ricky Stevens Junior Member

i was thinking about doing the pdc with Geoff Lawton at zaytuna farm and wondered if anyone has done that course and what they thought of it?

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Ricky

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

A search on the term 'zaytuna' returns 19 hits. Check it out.

Cheerio, Markos.

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Hello Ricky I have heard they do a great PDC at Zaytuna - some one said it was as good or better than Purple Pear for the course.

4. Nick Huggins GC Qld

Nick Huggins GC Qld Junior Member

I have a question for you Ricky. I have seen a lot of people come and go form the PRI, all hoping that Geoff & Permaculture have the answers for them personally in there lives. So Ricky, what is it that you want gain from a PDC with Geoff? What skills and knowledge can you share? And are you prepared to invest time into learning and getting your hands dirty while your at the farm? Once you can answer those questions honestly with your self then taking a PDC with Geoff should be a experance of a life time.

5. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

They are good questions,the difference between purples joint and Geoffs is that PP does a lot of great intensive bio dynamic stuff,has a great community supported agriculture system and is well into transition towns so he is a great demonstration of these things...toos also tells me his food and accommodation is excellent.
    Geoff has a great lot of animals and main frame stuff swales dams etc, etc they are both valuable but like Nick says ask yourself a few questions either place you are going to enjoy and get plenty of work.
    best wishes Fernando.

6. Ricky Stevens

when I searched for zaytuna like you said, it came up with all this muslim shiz, whats with that?

7. Fernando Pessoa

Ricky,I think he was talking about searching this forum using the search feature at the top right hand corner.

As far as Muslim "shiz" goes Zaytuna farm is a Halal farm, as Geoff and Nadia who will be your hosts are very devout Muslims.

The farm host students of all political and religious persuasions and sexual orientations,without prejudice or judgement .
    No drugs are allowed on the property.

If you do attend a PDC there you will undoubtedly be learning with people from all over the world and from all walks of life.

Geoff teaches in a very secular manner and is not one to use Permaculture to promote his own religious beliefs,in regards to the teaching it is in my opinion and I have seen these courses run in more than a dozen locations,it is some of the very best teaching in the world very few people leave without taking something extremely valuable from the course.

What is required from students is that they behave in a way that is beneficial to the group and the learning,you are expected to help with the chores and if you are so inclined get your hands dirty on the farm.

I hope I have cleared some of your questions up.
    Best wishes and good luck
    Fernando Pessoa

8. Ricky Stevens

thanks for that, i didnt know geoff was a muslim, but hey thats cool i think people should be free to believe what they want!
    anyway the thing was when I did a search like that other guy said for zaytuna there was nothing bout permaculture just all this stuff about a muslim college!? if you do a google for zaytuna you'll see what i mean.

9. Ricky Stevens

Fernando the site search made more sense thanks again

10. Ricky Stevens

i aint looking for a spritual guru just a well experienced permaculture teacher in a postitive environment, i might be young but i understand the bigger picture, i know where we're all going if we dont change our ways, thats the main reson why i want to do the pdc

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Geoff certainly fits the experienced teacher in a positive environment.

12. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey Pricky ...Notice your sounding like a racist,redneck now....(muslim shiz) et all....... Maybe your a red neck troll also

Tezza

13. Fernando Pessoa

14. Ricky Stevens

a pretty weird experience

nice way to speak to someone new, do I really deserve this kind of shiz?

I'm not racist, i am part aboriginal and live in sydney so my necks not very red its kinda brown

and anyone under 30 would know shiz is just slang for stuff or something, it dont mean anything bad

FAO MODERATORS can you tell me is stalking someone around the forum and throwing abuse at them part of permaculture ethics? joining this forum has been a pretty weird experience

15. Ricky Stevens

BTW most people have been great so thanks again to those of you who've offered your positive advice

16. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

i actually am a redneck
    Geoff was the first muslim i ever met and he is a great teacher
    i have been on zatuna and purple pears patch and both are great!!!! ive offered nick help which he chose to ignore.
    dont get hung up on the stone throwing in this forum
    where do you live ricky? that may influence your decision.
    welcome and peace ricky