Paper compost

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by bluepablo, Oct 8, 2004.

1. bluepablo

bluepablo Guest

I work in an office (ekkk) which is constantly throwing out shredded paper. I'd love to use this in my compost bin, but I can't get over this feeling like it would take a burdensomely long time for it to break down. As space is a very large concern, any thoughts on whether or not I should go to the trouble?

Thanks.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day bluepablo,

shredded paper doesn't take long to break down, the only thing adding it to the compost bin/heap you need to keep it in balance with the other ingredients, probably no more than about 25% at any given time. you could also use it with your mulching of the gardens and food trees lay a generous layer then damp it down then cover with mulch hay or straw and continue this as you need to re-mulch use the same process.

len :)

3. makehumusnotwar

makehumusnotwar Junior Member

try soaking the paper for a few days in water with an activator before adding it to the compost heap. use herb teas/organic molasses/raw bush honey/compost tea etc

4. Guest

Or use the soaked paper to make either papercrete (cement/paper mix) or paperclay (clay/paper mix). Both products are very light weight but quite strong. Plenty of recipes online. Paperclay is excellent for pottery type applications. Very forgiving medium for new players. Greenstock can sit on the workshop shelves for months before being finished off. It can also be fired in a pottery kiln to make a very strong porcelin type end product. Quite fun to play with, using 'plaster of paris' slip casting.

For large scale papercrete, you can make a rig using a '44 gallon' drum and mower blades. Another even larger rig uses a pto shaft to slasher blades inside a large vat. You work the mix by towing it around the yard. Again, plans available online.