Our tank full of water - stolen.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by DJ-Studd, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

Monday morning I'm taking a shower and then it just stops. "That's very odd", I think to myself. Normally when the filter blocks up the pressure just gets low, it doesn't stop all together! After checking the filter, I think to myself "surely not!". I had a look in our tank and it is EMPTY.

The only explaination that we can think of as to why our 90,000L water tank is empty is that someone has stolen the water. 6 weeks ago it was overflowing in the rains and at the end of last summer it was only down a third; that's with less rain that we've had this year!

We had a firehose outlet installed at the tank a few months ago, so it would have taken somebody no longer than half an hour to empty it out, if that. I'll file a police report later today, but other than that... ??!! $280 to buy 20,000L of chlorinated water. We're just hoping that it will rain soon.

2. PDB

PDB Junior Member

No way!! there are some low lifes out there!
    Hope it rains for you DJ
    Paul

3. Loris

Loris Junior Member

This was happening a bit in QLD before the wet season. A lot of sporting grounds and public areas were being hit. Also a lot of tank stealing from the tank places. Have informed hubby that we have to extend the house fence so dogs can patrol the tanks as well. Will now have to breed some scary dogs. That could take a while.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    That is so crap :(

90,000 litres, you'd need a tanker to get that or even 30,000.

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day dj,

that's a lot of water to steal, most water carriers with semi-trailer tankers only carry up to around 30k in capacity. then how would they know when youa re going to be out long enough for them to commit this darsdedly act?

if youa re on a property close and if necessery lock the front gate each time you go out other than a short trip down the road. when we lived in rural we always kept the front gate closed that way any passers by can't work out a system and it is far easier for someone to quickly drive through an open gate. we had people out there left their gates open all the time they where home maybe closed of nighttime but through daytime always open so when they do go away and lock up (a gate that is usually opened all of a sudden gets locked that tells passers by heaps). i mean even i could tell at a glance which neighbours where away so crooks are a lot more wiley than me.

we never used a lock that is a dead give away.

did neighbours see anything a truck the size needed would be very visible and audible i would think?

you say you had a fire hose assembly installed could there be a leak somewhere? if not with that installation could a leak occur in the system somewhere?

also can you increase security? when you go out trun off the pump and disconnect from the power source, turn off the flow valve, if nothing else this will slow any future water rustlers down.

1/2 an hour is a long time to take to commit a crime, it would take longer than that as he has to drive into the property and set it up for the transfer, it would be one very nervous crook to do that, then when you depart with a fully loaded truck that takes longer to get moving makes more engine noise.

either way sounds like you need to get security wise it may be all yor furniture next time? do yo ahve a dog? if so then you need a better one that will bark furiously and make lots of noise or maybe you just need a dog, put his kennel near the water tank.

let us know how things go with the police etc.,. be interesting to hear if they collar the culprit.

len

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

90 000L! oh no

I can't help thinking you should check for leaks though... I just always err on the side of people being generally good.

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I would suspect 2 things before I thought of theft; and yes water tankers with lift pumps can do that from a 50mm outlet in short time. It is also not unknown for neighbours to tap into a brand new line... :(

There is the possibility of a blocked inlet, say a teddy bear, dead possum or detritus that will give the appearance of a tank being full and overflowing out of the inlet.
    Most probably though I would suspect a leak. Do you have any 'new' springs downslope of the tank? Reality is that for 90kl to go in that time is about 1000 litres a day - a decent dripper line can do that in an hour.

Got any new treelines you have been watering?

Just a thought.

cheers

cheers,

8. gardenlen

all very quiet on the western front so to speak?

how are things 'dj'?

for future thinking if it is relevent, always leave any pipes from water tanks to pumps/home/shed exposed as much as possible, this is so at a glance you can see if a pipe has a leak or a joint has failed (the most common).

also we adopt some practises to try and minimise any accidental losses, whenever we go out at all we turn the power off to the pump (water will still gravity feed through the pump though), if we go for an extended period say some hours we turn the flow valve off at the tank.

also when we had multiple tanks we never kept "all our eggs in the same basket" so to speak, that is each tank though connected to the pump was independant of each other so only one tank at a time was actually turned on for use, the reason if something happened then we only put at risk one tank full of water.

same reason why we opted for holding out water in smaller tanks, our plan was never more than about 35k litre holding capacity (we prefer 25k litre cap') for any individual tank, we looked at larger capacity but if something happened we thought hey presto all our water is put at risk at one event.

len

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Len,

I have been waiting for any further news too. That much water is a lot to lose.

cheers,

10. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Mrs Parker-Bowles Junior Member

Stink!

I have no doubt that some rat bastard did steal it. What's wrong with people these days?

FWIW - A semi tanker has a capacity of 40,000Lt and a B-Double tanker 80,000Lt. I doubt that they'd have used a B-double.

And I bet you bottom dollar that if the fire hose guy didn't do it, it would have been as a result of their loose lips.

Regardeners,

Jo.

11. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

We had our tank cleaned professionally last week; it's in fantastic condition, with no cracks or leaks whatsoever.

If the culprit was a leaking hose/pipe, we'd surely have seen an explosion of plant growth, which we have not! We had a 10,000L load of water delivered, but we're painfully rationing this as the tank cleaner put a 2" piece of pipe in the outlet to stop leaves and muck from being sucked up from the bottom of the tank. As such, we don't have access to a decent amount of the water in the tank.

I'm hoping that finances will allow for me to buy another tank (Bluescope Steel have a factory outlet nearby) before the end of winter, which I'll put up the top of our property and pump water in to when the main tank is overflowing (a pipe dream at this stage but when winter kicks in there should be a huge surplus of water, with el nina and all). I'll use this tank as a gravity fed source of water for the garden.

We're also getting a big steel box fabricated to be placed over the pump.

That's life I suppose.

12. gardenlen

g'day dj,

waht about neighbours no one saw or heard anything, still a lot of water to move in one haul though.

anyhow you said:

trying to picture what you mean or what was actually done?

is the tank a topless affair as in open topped?

just wondering how leaves etc.,. gets into a normal sort of tank with a screen over the inlet? and a screened outlet so frogs and rodents can't get in.

keeping that sort of stuff out of a tank is paramount as leaves etc.,. are very likley to cause contamination of your water supply.

all we get in our tank is that fine settlement covering the floor of the tank.

len.

13. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

Concrete tank with a tin cover, however we don't have a first flush diverter or screening over the downpipes. This will change in the near future.

Just a piece of PVC pipe bunged in the water outlet, which sits on the bottom of the tank.

Cheers

14. gardenlen

so you can't have a setup like most tanks where you have a manhole sized opening with a screen over fitted over it and the rainwater flows through the screen?

just would concern me having unscreened water entering the tank, especially a tank that size should the water get contaminated by leaves that is a lot of water to risk is all i am thinking.

len

15. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I remember hearing a similar story from Queensland last summer. It was on the "Sunrise" program i think.

16. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

Yep, I'm planning on installing some kind of mesh "basket" under the opening.

17. gardenlen

way to go hey?

you have seen the ones fitted to lie poly tanks etc.,?

would not think it to be in your favour to have the tank fill up while it has leaves in it?

len

18. Jana

Jana Junior Member

Re: Our tank full of water - stolen.

Don't you think it too much of a coincidence that you just had your tank cleaned...maybe one of those guys has a rainwater supply business on the side...then again, do it more than once and the game is up.

19. DuckyLady

DuckyLady Guest

OMG :( There are some despicable people out there who have no conscious........Sorry to hear about what had happened. Karma will get them bad! :-x

20. gardenlen

has the felon been apprehended as yet?

len